Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a D16Z6 for a 93 Si Hatch. I recently had machine work done including dropping in a Comp 59300 cam. With the cam gear and key slot in the up position, the distributor will not slide into the cam slot. If I rotate the cam 180 degrees, the distributor will slide in. I pulled the Comp cam and put the stock back in and with the key slot and cam gear in the up position, the distributor slides in and is at cylinder 1. A side by side comparison of the Comp and stock cam shows that the offset for the distributor on the Comp cam is opposite of the stock cam. I sent the Comp cam back to the company for an evaluation along with this picture and they called to tell me there is nothing wrong with their cam and will be sending it back. Even though he couldn't explain the difference in the offset. As you can see from the picture with the key slot up on both cams the Comp cam is offset to the left while the stock cam slot is off center to the right.

Product Text Font Line Furniture

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,723 Posts
It looks like the drive slots on the back of the cams are 180 out from each other. Just flip the distributor drive tab 180.

If you've verified that the lobe actuation on cylinder #1 is correct with the comp cam while the cam gear is installed using stock TDC alignment marks, meaning you've verified the profile properly represents cylinder #1 at TDC compression/power stroke, then just remove the pin retaining ring off the distributor drive tab, push the pin out, and rotate the drive tab 180 degrees relative to the shaft, then put the pin and clip back in. This will put the ignition rotor pointing back to #1 cap tower.

Put everything back together, time the engine, put the dist back in, and just make sure the ignition rotor is pointing to relative location of where #1 distributor cap tower will be.

If it all times correctly after rotating the drive tab, cam lobes properly represent TDC #1 compression/power, and the ignition rotor will point to where distributor #1 plug tower will be, then put her back together.

Of course, you will want to freewheel the engine once timed to make sure valve actuation follows firing order sequence and you have no valve interference. As long as you've got that, and the dist ignition rotor ends up pointing at the correct cap towers, then she'll fire up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the instructions. I was thinking I would have to rotate the distributor shaft 180, install the distributor which would then be on cylinder #4 and then switch the plug wires around. Which I was not willing to do. It would be great if someone could send me a picture of the offset on a Comp cam or other cam so I can send to Comp. I shouldn't have to mess with the distributor to get their cam to work and it makes me question the integrity of the cam they sent me. The guy at Comp was a jerk, whenever I asked a question he would only say there are no problems with our cams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Comp called me back and confirmed the offset was on the wrong side and are sending me a new cam. They are also checking their blanks and current stock to make sure the offset is on the correct side. They said this was the first time they have seen one of their cams with the wrong offset.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,309 Posts
different dude? should have quoted them with "thought there was no problems with your cams"

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
maybe I am seeing things, but the picture does NOT show lobes in same orientation. Or doesnt have enough detail.

Any way to get a 3/4 picture of the cams, as if the camera was looking down approx 45 degree angle to show cam lobes?

Picture is small on my computer and loses detail zooming in on it, so it is limiting my viewing ability

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Either way, the new cam should hopefully solve any issues. Odd that the Comp cams dude was tripping. They usually get decent reviews on people talking to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lobes did line up even though the picture doesn't show it. The same Comp guy was nicer time, he said he thought the issue was the size of the groove in the offset and didn't notice the offset was different until after our phone conversation.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Id imagine you pointed out the lobe comparison? sounds like he doesnt want to admit he was wrong, but kudos for him follwoing up and making sure you got some sort of service.

Who knows, maybe he JUST got off the phone with a very rude customer, and was already in a garbage mood. Its not proper, but it happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.