Vitara Pistons
D16Z6 Head Gasket
D16A6 Cam
D16Y7 Cam Gear
New Exeddy OEM Clutch
Ported Throttle Body and Intake Manifold
Walboro 255 Fuel Pump

* = I already have this part.

I'm working hard on my crank ventilation setup... it will use exhaust slash-cut vacuum and I'll have two 3/4" outlets (need to make these), one 1/2" outlet (already made this and found out it's not enough), and the factory breather outlet running from the valve cover to my homemade baffled can.

Am I missing something? I will be getting this tuned professionally... does anyone know if Greddy would send me a base map for this? Presumably I can't load the base map myself since I don't have the support tool... so I would towe it to the tuner -- presumably it would be safe to drive up onto the dyno at least? It has a tune in the computer for the bone Stock D15B7 with stock injectors, exhaust, etc -- I had it tuned before I decided to build it up more.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
you're going to spend $700 on rods but cheap out on the pistons? go with something forged...

also run a chipped ecu instead of Emanage

you do realize that for the $700 you are spending on rods, you could buy 2 1.6 blocks and a set of Eagle h-beams...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd get rid of that dx tranny asap and look for an ex/si one.
Listen to that piece of advice. The long gears blowwwwwww.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
you're going to spend $700 on rods but cheap out on the pistons? go with something forged...

also run a chipped ecu instead of Emanage

you do realize that for the $700 you are spending on rods, you could buy 2 1.6 blocks and a set of Eagle h-beams...
I've already got the rods and they didn't cost me that much, they were $350 shipped to me. Everything with an * next to it I already have, which is also why I'd like to keep the E-Manage system. Based on what I have read the E-Manage with both harness' is actually quite flexible and should be able to do what I need. Is that not correct?

I suppose I should have went through my goals first :) I'm looking for ~200 WHP in a very reliable daily driver vehicle. I'm not going for an all out performance build, rather a quick daily driver that still does okay on fuel when I'm not having fun. I understand that Vitaras are good for 300 WHP, is this correct? That would satisfy my needs now and in the future.

I may switch to a bigger turbo at a later date when I want more speed which is why I went for the rods now, so I won't have to tear down the engine again later on.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
i bet they sent you d15b rods...

but your better off using a 1.6 block and using crome pro to tune on

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bet they sent you d15b rods...

but your better off using a 1.6 block and using crome pro to tune on
These are the specific D15B7 rods from Crower. Got them from a guy who used them in his D15B7 and parted it out.

I had thought about doing a chipped ECU... but I do already have the E-manage system and it is already installed in the car. I would have to tear it out, sell it, and switch over. I have done alot of reading on it and it seems that those who really give the E-manage a chance don't have any problems with it. Do you have other experience that would indicate it is not adequate when properly tuned with both the injector and ignition harness?

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
i've used chipped ecu's with NEP-tune and crome pro and they are by far better than the emanage you can only do so much with it

crome pro you have
2 step aka full throttle launch
check engine shift
you can disable or enable vtec

you can fully tune it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've used chipped ecu's with NEP-tune and crome pro and they are by far better than the emanage you can only do so much with it

crome pro you have
2 step aka full throttle launch
check engine shift
you can disable or enable vtec
you can fully tune it
I am a tuning n00b, so pardon my questions... but what does that really do for me? Lets say I don't need a shift light and don't have vtec... and what exactly would a 2 step launch do for me in a daily driven vehicle?

Some of this stuff I don't know... if E-Manage *really* won't get me a 200 WHP reliable daily driver then I'll drop it. If it can, then I'd like to keep it since it is already installed. Is there something specific in the tuning it simply can't do for me, other than what you listed above, even with the injector and ignition harness installed?

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alright... so I'm going to see what I can get for my E-Manage with Injector and Ignition harness connectors. If I can get a fair bit for it I'm looking into a chipped ECU from Phearable with a base map so I can drive it to the tuner for further adjustment there.

Located a D16A6 cam w/ AEM adjustable gear... that should take care of that part of the build.

Any more comments on other parts of the build? What is up w/ no love on the DX tranny? I do want to maintain good fuel mileage and this is NOT a racing build at all -- from what I understand the DX tranny is great for a daily driven boosted setup. When I was driving before even with my crappy half-ass boost setup it pulled enough for me to deem it acceptable. With this in mind... any reason why the DX tranny would be bad for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have almost the same setup as you man...except for the injectors, i am running on uberdata and maybe i might switch to crome soon. but also, right now i am running a 2" downpipe which soon i am gonna switch to a 3" inch. oh yeah, i also swapped to an Si tranny. just wondering how many psi u running? and whats your expected 1/4 mile time? i was pretty happy with my time for b7 :).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have almost the same setup as you man...except for the injectors, i am running on uberdata and maybe i might switch to crome soon. but also, right now i am running a 2" downpipe which soon i am gonna switch to a 3" inch. oh yeah, i also swapped to an Si tranny. just wondering how many psi u running? and whats your expected 1/4 mile time? i was pretty happy with my time for b7 :).
No idea on 1/4 mile time... I've never been to the strip with any of my cars. I'm going to let my tuner figure out the PSI... last time I went down there it was seeing a peak of 8.3 PSI, I'd like to see if I could run 12 PSI with my Greddy kit, which I hear is the peak of it's efficient usage range. But, I'll leave that up to them to figure out!

The whole chipped ECU deal is still confusing me a little, I need to do more reading on that and contact Phearable and my Tuner about what I need to do.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'd get rid of that dx tranny asap and look for an ex/si one.
yup yup... get an LSD for it too.

Otherwise all that power is going to make a one tire fire aka. the one wheel peel.

LSD short gear tranny is the best performance upgrade that car can get.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
seems like you're spending an awful lot of money for a turbo kit that will net you around 200whp nearly maxed out.... just my opinion

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
seems like you're spending an awful lot of money for a turbo kit that will net you around 200whp nearly maxed out.... just my opinion
I understand that the Greddy kit is a bit small. I picked it up before I intended to do anything to the bottom end... but then one of my pistons went out on me so since I'm tearing in anyway I don't want to do it again later. It has been my learning experience... had I done a larger kit and/or different block I probably would have messed it up :)

I'm getting this engine ready for a bigger turbo down the line... for now 200 WHP would make it, by far, the fastest car I have owned -- before this my 02' BMW 325i was the fastest car I've had and it wasn't exactly a speed demon.

SOHC_STUDENT,

It's not primarily a track or race car. It is my daily driver, I don't think I would be happy with a shorter geared transmission since I will be driving it to work quite a bit at 75 miles a day round-trip where mileage matters :)

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
If those rods are from a D16 they arent gonna work. might either wanna consider getting a 1.6 block or even a 1.6 crank.

·
Registered
629 Posts
sell me the crower rods :TU: :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If those rods are from a D16 they arent gonna work. might either wanna consider getting a 1.6 block or even a 1.6 crank.
Yes, I know about this. These are the actual D15B7 crower rods that are 3mm shorter with the right crank size.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts