Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of running drop springs, I am finally saving up for some coilovers. I have it down to the Fortune Auto 500s or BC racing coils. The price for these are fairly close and I feel either would be a good choice. I have made the mistake of googling spring rates and got lost in a sea of opinions. Its like wearing shoes, which to some a certain pair is more comfortable than another. What rates do you guys run? I use the car on the street and occasionally the drag strip. The car isn't used for any road racing of any sort. I wouldn't mind a little more stiff, but nothing so bad it just ruins the ride. I currently am running Eibach Sportlines and KYB AGXs and its too soft. I also want to have the flexibility to adjust the height when needed.

Thoughts?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
For street, I like 350-450#. 450 is a little on the rough side, but is okay for the front spring rates.

I have been running square spring rates (same rate - 400# - at all four corners) for a few years now and it has been the best balance I've found for both street and circuit tracks with the OE sway bars.

The most influential component for ride quality is the rear spring rate. Too soft and the car will feel floaty. Too hard, and it'll rattle your teeth.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do these rates equate to on the k scale? I believe the standard springs on the BC coils are 10k in front and 8k in the rear. I'm questioning if it pays to pay the extra $340 for custom spring rates.

For street, I like 350-450#. 450 is a little on the rough side, but is okay for the front spring rates.

I have been running square spring rates (same rate - 400# - at all four corners) for a few years now and it has been the best balance I've found for both street and circuit tracks with the OE sway bars.

The most influential component for ride quality is the rear spring rate. Too soft and the car will feel floaty. Too hard, and it'll rattle your teeth.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
You just have to convert from lb/in to kg/mm.

There are 25.4mm in an inch. Multiply the kg weight by 25.4 to convert to kg/in, then multiply the result by 2.205 to convert from kg to lb.

10kg spring = 560# spring

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

You just have to convert from lb/in to kg/mm.

There are 25.4mm in an inch. Multiply the kg weight by 25.4 to convert to kg/in, then multiply the result by 2.205 to convert from kg to lb.

10kg spring = 560# spring

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
You can run 600 lb springs on the street ... but I wouldn't do it again.

I had a set of PIC Selects running 670lb F/560lb R springs. Which were great ... in my early 20s ... and for AutoCross.

The roads out here aren't awful so it wasn't too bad of a ride. That said proper valving will go a long way to making the ride bearable no matter what the spring rate is.

I had a set of Ohlins on my Subaru that easily doubled the stock rates and they weren't much harsher to ride on than stock.

Don't over think it too much and make sure you go for quality coilovers.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Running ground control coils and springs on the autox CRX, 400lb front and 450 rear.

The ride isn’t awful on the street but it’s a little rough. Wouldn’t want to drive it as my daily.

There have definitely been a few situations where I hit bumps and though “fuck” to myself.

Guess it depends how the roads are where you’ll be driving and what your tolerance for impact is.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback gents! I am confident in the BC standard coilovers(10k front, 6k rear) and have been talking with them for a few weeks now. I will give some feedback once these are installed.

·
Formerly weebeastie
964 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gents! I am confident in the BC standard coilovers(10k front, 6k rear) and have been talking with them for a few weeks now. I will give some feedback once these are installed.
How did this every turn out? I'm looking at running a set of BC coilovers myself on a Wagovan and am curious at what spring rates will work the best. I've talked with Kevin at BC a few times, and they seem to believe that you can run a fairly stiff spring because of the dampening/valving of their shocks and the adjustability of them. Just wondered how it turned out for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts