Honda D Series Forum banner

741 - 760 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
is the multi spark at/under 1500rpm something that adds noticable cost to the customer?

if so, perhaps two kits could be offered. a standard simple COP kit, and an "advanced" COP kit allowing multispark, dwell adjustment, timing adjustment (like cruise/drag/daily, etcc)

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #746
Looking into it, The guy I have for the base design is swamped and hasn't been on my design for almost a month, I really would like to stay with him, but I'm debating finding someone else, I have enough saved to get a couple prototypes made but he has all my parts for measure reference. This part is really frustrating cause I don't have Solidworks nor the time to learn it right now. Locash was interested in designing and producing a few months ago when we talked last but I had already started elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
4 hours of coding up to 3am this morning, testing and debuging over this last hour, and I give you 3 sparks per cylinder up to 3500 RPM
Not so sure the ignition coils would like multiple sparks at that sort of rpm. I could be completely wrong, but I would imagine multi-spark to be much more common in the car world if nothing negative presented itself (or maybe its emissions related?).

That does, however, present something interesting. the HF/CX/VX cars have such long gearing, during daily driving, you will never really settle above 3k rpm, even on the interstate highway.

I wonder what the long term piston/combustion chamber wear and tear would look like if it were under constant multi-spark environment. Would it actually help? would it be one of those situations requiring much more engine oil cooling?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
There are actually quite a few manufactures doing multi spark, it helps get the fresh air and fuel ignited that have swirled around from the initial flame propagation turbulence, also if the first spark doesn't jump the gap under high load,large gap, high boost or lean mixture it has two more chances to prevent misfire.

http://dtec.net.au/Multi Spark Ignition.htm

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
If you like the person working on the design, stick with him.

Even if it adds time. If your gut says its good, then stay with it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
That's the weird ignition pickup adapter, sometimes it's normal, most of the time it's upside down, haven't looked into it, cheap probe. SAME KV as the standard k series coil, just pulsing multiple times. The acceleration at low rpm does seem more stout, throttle flick is also smoother.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
last mpg's before multispark, 25 - 26.5, after multispark, 28.2mpg!
AWD 5sp b20z2. New engine in the garage getting overhauled to replace the oil guzzling 84.5mm engine, wonder how much slower its going to be going back to a stock long block.

JDM crust on the outside, pure Gold on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
So first guy in the cnc design is super swamped, great guy but no time, I contacted Locash but he'll be out of town all week, so till then I'm checking all Cnc shops in the valley and get some estimates for time-and pricing for prototypes + medium run.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
I have a local cnc shop working on it, I'll be contacting him tomorrow, I got the quote for wire harnesses and custom rubber grommet, will be getting it on the dyno soon. Hold up is the base design, new guy started 5 weeks ago, last thing it's fine measurements then cut, this seems to be the hardest part of product design/production, cnc shops are always overwhelmed, prototypes have lowest priority.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a local shop this is always up for doing new things. If you need another price quote I can get the cad file over to him

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #760
I messaged them, we'll see what he says today, issue is that the base design isn't finished, once that is completed then we need to design the shaft.

741 - 760 of 791 Posts