Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car is a 94 civic dx hatch with a d16z6*

I wired in the vtec solenoid this morning and got code 21. *I checked the the solenoid and it was bad. *Read 0 Ohms. *I swapped to a different solenoid and got the same code.

I ran through the entire helms troubleshoot for it. *From solenoid to ground is steady 16 Ohm. *There is continuity through all wires and no shorts. *

​I have no idea where to go from here. *Any help would be very much appriciated

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
How do you have the vtec wires?

Are the wires broken at either the vtec pressure switch or the vtec solenoid?

Pull out the back up fuse for 2 mins to rest the ecu. If that doesn't work pull the positive battery wire for a few mins.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do you have the vtec wires?

Are the wires broken at either the vtec pressure switch or the vtec solenoid?

Pull out the back up fuse for 2 mins to rest the ecu. If that doesn't work pull the positive battery wire for a few mins.
The single wire from the solenoid is ran straight to A4 on the Ecu.
Blue wire on oil pressure is ran to D6 I believe on the ECU
GRD is to the thermostat.

I didn't test the pressure switch since the code was 21 and that is for the solenoid

All the wires are brand new and soldered so no bad connections.
I did pull the backup fuse and the main ECU fuse for about 10 min. Also pulled the NEG battery cable

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The code 21 is a result of the ECU doing a Ohm check of the solenoid and it failing. Wiring is the issue. Disconnect the A4 wire from the ECU and apply 12v to it and see if the solenoid "clicks".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The code 21 is a result of the ECU doing a Ohm check of the solenoid and it failing. Wiring is the issue. Disconnect the A4 wire from the ECU and apply 12v to it and see if the solenoid "clicks".
So if it does click does that mean it's the ECU? I did a continuity test from the connector end to the pin on the ecu and it's fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts