Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some turbo cars with the rear of the hood jacked up about 2 inches. similar to what the VW guys used to do with there deck lids. what is the purpose of this on the civics. I also saw a sweet jdm clone non turbo like this is it a jdm thing?

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's an oldskool way to help cool the engine. On some cars (carb/ITB fed with open rampipes or sock-type filters for example) this also works a bit like a cowl induction hood, giving fresh air to the intake side of the engine.

People have done this since the '60s, when box style cars became the norm.

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,375 Posts
It's an oldskool way to help cool the engine. On some cars (carb/ITB fed with open rampipes or sock-type filters for example) this also works a bit like a cowl induction hood, giving fresh air to the intake side of the engine.

People have done this since the '60s, when box style cars became the norm.
id say 90% of the people doing it now though arent worried about their motor cooling better though

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did this on my old neon by just removing the weather strip along the back side of the hood. It worked pretty good and the hood didn't look all funny. The weather strip on my civic however is much smaller so I think that if I am to do it, I will need to make some 1/4in spacers.

My friend had a Hyundai Elantra with a 50 shot and it would get pretty hot so we tried this just using some extra nuts that were laying around and it helped.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I did this on my old neon by just removing the weather strip along the back side of the hood. It worked pretty good and the hood didn't look all funny. The weather strip on my civic however is much smaller so I think that if I am to do it, I will need to make some 1/4in spacers.

My friend had a Hyundai Elantra with a 50 shot and it would get pretty hot so we tried this just using some extra nuts that were laying around and it helped.
are you serious? 50 shot in that thing?? :hammer:

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
didnt someone else post up on this? about how now that he did that mod he couldnt fuckin open his hood. retard.

its pretty stupid imo. i would liken it to taking the side of your computer off to help it cool. the case was designed to be closed and as such, the fans that suck air in/out cant do their job if there is an area of equal pressure (ie when the side of the computer is off). worked on a friend of mines computer where he had taken the side of it off and kept wondering why his cpu temps went up. i explained this little theory to him and viola...no less than 6* C drop in cpu temperature without any added fans. just a thought though...

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
its dumb if you ask me. the only reason to do it is if your hood hits the valve cover, like it did in the H2B hatch we are building.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why not just take a 24 pack of beer, drink it all. then spray paint the box to match the color of your car.. then super glue it to the hood.. Its gona definatly make it look sweeter than ever and also help out performance and cooling.. possible 10-20 HP depending on what kind of beer.. :)

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
especially that ***.
:stfu: **** lol

it helps cooling but that guy that couldnt open his hood um :hammer: mines raised like half inch maybe a little more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.