Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winter I put a new clutch kit in (cheap auto zone crap) it was a last minute thing. It's been driving fine since then. I installed my B&M short throw and hurst poly bushings and now there is no grab in 2nd and 3rd (maybe4th and 5th). I checked twice and everything seems to be where it should be. Did I screw something up? or is my clutch burnt? I'm at the end of my wits and I'm ready to set this car on fire! HELP!

·
Registered
88 CrX Si
222 Posts
King Reason said:
This winter I put a new clutch kit in (cheap auto zone crap) it was a last minute thing. It's been driving fine since then. I installed my B&M short throw and hurst poly bushings and now there is no grab in 2nd and 3rd (maybe4th and 5th). I checked twice and everything seems to be where it should be. Did I screw something up? or is my clutch burnt? I'm at the end of my wits and I'm ready to set this car on fire! HELP!
umm... did ya break it in...or resurface the fly wheel?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah did you break it in properly? Also if it worked fine before the short throw shifter and bushings, then check that stuff. Maybe its not getting in gear right.

·
0 Posts
Probably gotta loosen everything up that you just installed (the short shift), should lube everything up with some lithium grease..........should work alot better....it wouldn't be the clutch, it would have been the throwout bearing to all of a sudden not go in gear(unless you're a rookie)...............but most likely it's a 5 minute fix to loosen the bottom of the short shift.............

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything was greased when it was thrown together. I took the linkage apart and checked everything twice. My friend also checked to see it I over looked anything. The flywheel was resurfaced when the new clutch went in. It was said that it looked like it was resurfaced once before. So the clutch grabbed pretty high. The clutch cable is whacked, it seems like it's too long, It's all the way adjusted.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
POS AZ disc.

Get a Exedy replacment disc/PP, have the flywheel resurfaced or buy a ACT Streetlite.

The cable issue, either it's stretched or the flywheel not resurfaced correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The AZ clutch and the flywheel resurfaced at pep boys :oops: was all last minute. I had to get it back on the road and couldn't wait for parts. I talked to Honda and the guy said he never heard of the clutch cable being stretched. I'm wondering if it's a combo of the cheap clutch and shity resurface job. Maybe it just had it and went. I don't know but if it's not 1 thing it's another. :mad:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
The clutch cables do stretch with age (newbie tech?) as well as the pedal assembly come apart under the dash. This is usually from running a heavier pressure plate.

The clutch Cable on a 16 yo car could need replacing, about $30.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe what I'll do is start with replacing the clutch cable. I'm thinking the clutch just finially let go. Its a cheap Auto Zone clutch, but I do need a new clutch cable. As for the pedal assembly, what should I look for? lose parts? worn parts?etc..

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
my Exedy stock replacement only lasted about 6 months. its starting to slip on me. but thats probably because i didnt break it in correctly, raced on it the first day i got the car running, lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ryan89crx said:
my Exedy stock replacement only lasted about 6 months. its starting to slip on me. but thats probably because i didnt break it in correctly, raced on it the first day i got the car running, lol.
I did the same thing. I didn't break it in and i was lighting up my tires. The flywheel had hot spots on it also, maybe they are back too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts