Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay my clutch is shot and needs replacement. i have never encountered something like this before. ive read up on DIY clutch installments but my garage lacks tools so i have no other choice. my question is how much would i be looking at for an oem replacement + installation? just doing my research before a shop tries to screw with my pockets. thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was in your situation when I first purchased my CRX, and most shops quoted about $400-$500 for installation and the OEM replacement. A local guy here just paid something crazy like $600 or $650 for an OEM clutch install in his 93 (I think) civic DX. My advice is to search, and ask around for locals who may have the know how to do it cheaply.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think ive already been lied to by a shop.. one shop quoted me around 550-600 and told me it would take approx. 6hrs, 2nd shop quoted me for 600-700. ill look in the phonebook and give other places a call. thanks for looking out guys.

·
Registered
ej1
533 Posts
$500 forthe local shop here in napa cali. they say it will take a full day. im just gonna do it my self seeing as how i got friend that has done it plenty of times. if you can do it your self with some help then go that way cause it will save u so mych money in the long run

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Imo if u dont need the car for everyday purpose then try to do it yourself. I started doing it last summer in the heat and w/o a garage. Your best bet is to start buying tools to do the swap. U mostly need a 17" socket, 19", 32" (axle nut), an misc sockets. Of course jack stands i got mines for $15 a pair. A shop told me 1 time it would cost $350-$400. I told him then i'll do it my damn self.

And while your at it...get a better clutch instead of oem. It'll be worth it in the long run. I learn quick by watching & helping friends work on their cars. So that's how i learned plus i bought the book on my car.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the thing is i would love to do it myself but i dont have the tools and i dont have enough money to start buying them now. i have another question that just came to mind. if i replace the clutch is it necessary to replace the flywheel??? ill probably end up buying my own parts and having a shop install them.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
No u dont need to replace the flywheel. Do u have a socket set? If not honestly u should buy 1. Not only for tranny work, but any work u need to do w/ your car.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
thetruth said:
i think ive already been lied to by a shop.. one shop quoted me around 550-600 and told me it would take approx. 6hrs, 2nd shop quoted me for 600-700. ill look in the phonebook and give other places a call. thanks for looking out guys.
6-6.5 hours is the book labor for a tranny/clutch swap.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
transzex said:
6-6.5 hours is the book labor for a tranny/clutch swap.
the two times ive had mine done, i paid 200-250 for the labor, and provided the parts myself

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
it's always a good idea to resurface the flywheel while you have the clutch off.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thetruth said:
the thing is i would love to do it myself but i dont have the tools and i dont have enough money to start buying them now.
If you're gonna spend like 4 or 500 hundred for an install, you could definently buy some nice tools with that! But, as you said- you'd be better off at least buying the clutch yourself. Two years ago (when I had no idea how to do it myself), I bought my Exedy clutch for $125 off ebay, then had the local shop install it for $150.

·
Registered
338 Posts
From my experiences.. I bought a Haynes manual for general reference and changed the clutch myself on my CRX. You dont really need that many tools on earlier Hondas. Oh I got an exedy clutch and resurfaced the flywheel with an emery cloth cause the flywheel was good (was driven by an old lady its whole life)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's not that hard to do a clutch change.

if you work on cars, might as well invest in some good tools. i bought a set from sears, for 2 bills, lifetime warranty, can't beat that. it has just about every part i needed.

2 bills versus 5 bills for clutch install, you figure the math. and you wont use the tools only once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts