Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DOHC ZC motor and ZC tranny setup. It's in a a 1991 Civic si EF hatchback.

Will a Sohc stage 3 clutch with chromoly flywheel fit? If so what year as well?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
what the hell is a stage 3 clutch, and what year is the dohc zc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what the hell is a stage 3 clutch, and what year is the dohc zc?
A stage 3 clutch is made for a serious driver and for cars that are tuned to the zenith, leaving stock far behind. It comes with a heavy-duty pressure plate as well as a six-puck ceramic hub disc able to withstand tons of heat and allowing for faster engagement with no slipping. Not sure that's the way I bought it.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
My point was, stage 3 is not a proper description of a clutch. Hell that could easily mean a 3 stage paint job. Jokes aside,,

look up the flywheel bolt circle for the clutch, compare it to the sohc stuff. I believe sohc is 9.25 or 9.3" bolt circle on the flywheel.

Then you need to figure out if you need a 200mm or a 212mmm clutch disc.

Finally, never buy a clutch that says stage 3. An exedy pro replacement can hold 200whp easily for years, and is identical to stock as far as drivability. Clutchmasters and ACT both make great mild clutches that can go upwards of 500whp.

Spec has a twin disc that has successfully held up to a 1100whp D16 for several passes.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,103 Posts
Technically, I'm using a stage 4 clutch lmao... but it came with much more useful numbers in the accompanying leaflet and website tech details, like pressure plate weight, etc.

But stage numbers are way better. They make you believe you've literally reached the next invisible stage to stand on :)

Hopefully someone has a good sense of sarcasm....

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Stage means nothing man! Egay style stage blah blah blah clutches usually not even as good as stock! Look for a quality brand because you usually get what you pay for with clutches. Action,ACT, clutch masters, are all good places to start. Get clutch best suited for your torque or future planned torque. Agree with all above about measuring and counting splines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts