Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 ex
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I just did a swap on my daily now im having clutch issues.

Specs: A6 block,Y8 head,A6 trans,stage 3 comp clutch,16g turbo.

I just dropped a new motor and clutch in my CRX. I used a stage 3 comp clutch and had to reuse my throw out bearing because the one in my kit was for hydro trans.

I Thought everything was good but then then i tried to start it and realized it wont start unless the trans is in neutral and even then it doesn't want to start,like there is resistance holding the starter back but it will start. When the car is started you cannot get out of neutral and the isn't idling right, like its fighting the clutch.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Here's what I've come up with so far

1. The clutch cable is too stretched and cant put enough force on the PP to disengage the clutch? I remember that before the swap (Stock rated clutch) i had the cable maxed out for the clutch to work so maybe this is whats wrong? Stretched cable cant put enough force on the PP??

2.The Competition clutch throw out bearing is designed differently? Taller so it can push the PP sooner? i doubt this is the case but Idk???

3. Clutch plate is backwards? I'm 99% i put the clutch in with the springs facing out. I believe this is correct.

Sorry for the long post!
Thank you for any input!! Trying to get her back on the road asap.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
bet bone chimes in with "stretched cable"

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Can you space the end of the clutch cable temporarily to see if it works?

Or unhook the cable and give it a few twists in the braid's direction to ghetto shorten it ONLY to test?

Else a local bike shop might be able to make you a new cable and reuse some of the hodna bits

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Pressure plate rubbing on the interlock guide bolt, and stretched cable.

Good luck finding a Honda Cable, the Dorman replacement sucks.

Why so much clutch though?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Are they discontinued? I just bought one from Majestic 2-3 months ago
I couldn't get one for my CRX 1.6 years ago. I know dealers are going through old inventory that is sitting on the shelf.

What I didn't know is my CRX had a Stage 4 PP and flywheel, but the 4 puck disc was replaced with an OEM unit.

·
Registered
98 ex
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey. I shimmed the cable with a couple washers and messed with the cable a bunch. now it will start and I can get into gear again but theres almost no adjustment left on the cable.

Haven't driven around town yet but seems good enough for now.

So the interlock bolt as mentioned isn't a problem right?

I ordered a new oem cable.

Motor is Vitara, Eagle went with stage 3 so I have room to grow.

I appreciate all the responses! Hopefully when my new cable arrives it will be good to go!

I didn't realize how much I missed the Honda game till I started messing with them again!

·
Registered
98 ex
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it possible I damaged the starter trying to start it with the clutch still engaged?
That's what I was thinking it could be. I kept trying to start the car with the pedal down and it would lurch forward right away or not start at all. Clutch not disengaging with the pedal.

It really just sounds like its weak now but it starts. I threw a spare starter on today but have the car in pieces didn't get to start it.

My tranny still has a slight leak so i will need to pull it at some point to reseal, would i just tighten down the interlock bolt some more? Its the allen bolt inside the bell housing right?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
My tranny still has a slight leak so i will need to pull it at some point to reseal, would i just tighten down the interlock bolt some more? Its the allen bolt inside the bell housing right?
If it has a washer on it then remove the washer and just use some sealant on the threads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the cable maybe to tight. Tightening it down originally to make it work is because your clutch was worn out. Had the issue in my 76 dart. After putting a new clutch in it I had to loosen it back up. Check your nss as well. Maybe it's going bad

·
Registered
98 ex
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
new starter works much better! plenty strong! Thanks for the help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts