Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all im daniel. i drive a 92 dx sedan, 5sp of course. i think my clutch master cylinder just decided to blow up cause there is no pressure on the clutch pedal and there is fluid leaking out from the piston part that the pedal pushes into the firewall. i have a pbr unit on the way, and i would really like to put it in myself. i have a friend to help, but is in the same boat as me as far as how to bleed the system. could someone give me a quick run down on how to do that, my searches havent returned much. if you find a thread on this please link it :)

oh heres a pic

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,613 Posts
keep resevior topped top, same pump and bleed technique as with normal brakes.

It will take quite some time, ALWAYS keep and eye on the resevior.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i am removing the bad one to i try to just drain as much fluid as possible, then hook up the new unit and keep pumping clutch and adding fluid until the level stops going down? because i dont really know how to bleed brakes honeslty i have never done under the hood work just audio and tech. i really wanna start modding my car tho, this porblem just came at a bad time i guess.

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Look on your cylinder on the Tranny where your clutch fluid line goes too. You will see near the end sticking out there is a nipple, slacken it two or 3 turns, add fluid to your resevoir while your buddies inside the car pumping the clutch pedal slow and steady, all the way to the floor and back up again.

Do not let the resevoir level go too low while your doing this or you'll have to start over. Ideally you want a transparent tube that fits over your clutch cylinder nipple tightly and have it travelling down into an empty water bottle or something to catch the fluid, periodically check the hose off the cylinder to look for air bubbles in it, there should be none. Keep pumping till there is none and then tighten the nipple up again and you should then have a pressurized pedal again :) Easy Top up ur fluid after and your done!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds simple enough....ill go down and try to scope out this nipple and everything else you are talking about, my new CMC should be here in a few days, found one online for 33 bucks so i cant complain. its just the local perf. shop is gonna charge 80 bucks to do the install provided i have the part and i just wanna save some money doing it myself. thanks to yall who are responding and honda rally thanks for the quick write up i will save that so i know what to do when we start. i hate not driving, ughh. :(

·
Registered
Civic HB
46 Posts
ok, fist you have bleed the brake fluid on the clutch lines , to do that at the end of the line ( in the gear box) you will see the slave cylinder an at the right a nut whit a small cap on it, this nut its bleeding valve, just open and start to pumping the pedal until the reservoir it's empty. then disconnect the line from the master cylinder, clutch pedal (do not move the screw ad the top of the pedal assembly unless you wanna change the pedal height), the last part is the nuts in the firewall.
to install the new cylinder repeat the process back. when you gonna bleed the line remain pump the pedal and fill up the level each 5 o 6 pumps. Do it until you fill the pedal become "harder" and hear the fluid leaking ("shh"), in that moment you will need your friend to close the valve an open, when you kipping pumping . This final step it's to take out the final air from the line , you will now a small bubbles coming out until the air it's gone.
I hope it will help you .
EduardoGTR

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hey man thanks. does this happen to be the little nipple/valve thing you guys are both talking about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet thanks now i have a pretty good idea of what to do. when the part comes in im gonna put it in asap ill take some progress pics. same when i get my header next week. thanks again guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
me and a bro tackled it today, part finally came. the clutch feels wayyyy better than before, its more forgiving and seems to grab harder. i know it probably isnt but it all worked out. thanks guys ill post a pic of the ebay header i got comin. i have read good things about them, but if it sucks ill buy a nice one. heck it was 40 bucks shipped so its worth a shot. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts