Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 Si tranny and a 90 DX tranny....and which eva one i decide to use im gonna have to buy a new clutch....im plan on goin turbo and making some good amount power so im gonna need sumthin to withhold it...so which would be the best choice tranny for goin turbo and some good clutchs and places i can get them...Thanks in advance for any help and advice....

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
depends on what you are looking for, good gas mileage, or a VERY wuick car...

F

·
0 Posts
go with the si trans. Your clutch is going to be strictly for the 88 trans its a 200 mm clutch. I got an exedy stage 1 and its real nice but for boost im not sure we will find out when i get there if it holds.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
^^what he said with a stage 2 clutch

C

·
0 Posts
the 88 had a smaller flywheel contact area with the clutch.

and the 88 tranny is a fucken bastard as well.

go with the dx since you are not going N/A it wont hurt to go with the dx.

what year is your flywheel? or are you planning to get a new one?

·
Registered
302 Posts
transzex said:
I'd go with a 212mm clutch, 21 spline, 90-91 flywheel, like a Streetlite XACT.......esp. with the turbo.
^^^What he said, because so far everyone else is incorrect the 88 disc is 190mm 21 spline.

Use the 212mm disc from a 90 prelude 2.0 with a 91 pressure plate and flywheel. Oh and keep the Si tranny. Being turbo or not has no effect on your gearing.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
u sure its a 90 prelude? i thought it was a older year prelude that u had to use the clutch disc from? and will the stock clutch disc from a prelude be able to hold the power with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate for a 90 crx? And i have a 7lb flywheel...should i go with a heavier one? or will a 7lb be ok with that setup?

·
Registered
302 Posts
SleepingCRX88 said:
u sure its a 90 prelude? i thought it was a older year prelude that u had to use the clutch disc from?
Oops sorry my bad....It's the one from the 84-87 2.0L prelude Si. I had my disc and pressure plates mixed up!

and will the stock clutch disc from a prelude be able to hold the power with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate for a 90 crx?
Depends on the amount of torque your making. I would go with a stage 1 or 2 CM or ACT typr clutch unless your going to make gobs of torque. All of the aftermarket clutch sellers have discs from 84-87 preludes. They also have specific kits with the prelude disc and the 90 pressure plate.

And i have a 7lb flywheel...should i go with a heavier one? or will a 7lb be ok with that setup?
That's personal preference I like the lighter flywheels. Some people say they get better launches from a heavier wheel. I don't know if that's true or not. I don't have any problems. I would think with a turbo it would not matter.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nikkon said:
use the dx tranny if ur going turbo.
Why?! Based on what? That's like saying use the HF engine if your going turbo... It doesn't make sense and you've provided no basis for the statement nor have you substantiated your claims.

Si is better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts