Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Civic 1991 STD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually i just want to know if someone has experience running the mfactory close ratio with boost
At the moment i'm running an all motor setup but i'm going to the turbo side (more power is needed).

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
pretty sure a lot of drag racers do. check the build threads

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Boost or NA doesnt matter. The stock box is really wide, and making it closer is going to make you faster. Especially road or rally racing.

With the stock power band of these engines (torque dropping off hard at high rpm), the stock gearing, albeit long, is spaced out well. But when you start modifying the engine to make power at higher RPM you find yourself having to rev really high to get the most out of the first couple of gears. If you bring them closer together you can upshift at a more reasonable rpm and still be accelerating well.

RPM - Ruins Peoples Motors

The real question is what are you trying to do with the car?

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
Me and a buddy of mine use a close ratio kit icm with turbo (350hp). The only thing we added is an 3.7 FD. It makes your first 2 gears longer so it's easier to put the power on the ground.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I have no personal experience Mfactory gear set, but i have been running stock geared s20 D16z6 and s40 D16y8 transmission on a 400+whp D16 with a 57mm turbo ported head + cam. I am able to get away by shifting at 9k currently at 9.8k and stay in boost all the way to 4th and the whole duration of 1/4 mile. Although there's no sense in revving high if the car isn't making the power to make up with with lost torque. I wasn't sure what your goals are, but a 22" slicks is good for 250-300hp and 23" for 400hp on stock 4.25 final drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts