Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

After months of researching (thank you DSO!!) and a few unpleasant delays, I've finally had a chance to test my close ratio transmission build at the track!

I added an MFactory 1.565 3rd gear, mover stock 3rd to 4th and added a 0.878 ZC 5th gear.

Stock ratios:
1: 3.250
2: 1.909
3: 1.250
4: 0.909
5: 0.702
FD: 4.25

New ratios:
1: 3.250
2: 1.250
3: 1.565 (MFactory)
4: 1.250 (originally stock 3rd)
5: 0.878 (ZC 5th)
FD: 4.25

The improvement is incredible. The new gearing works amazingly well with the motor build from this year. The gears help to keep the engine in VTEC where it makes power up to 7500rpm. Last year I would lose power and speed between 2nd and 3rd due to the significant RPM drop. Now I'm able to keep making power.

I took my '93 del Sol Si (NA d16z6 build) to te Canadian Tire Motorsport Park at the Driver Development Track. The setup is perfect for this track.

Here's a video from last year (130whp limited to 7200rpm and stock gearing):
https://youtu.be/ghQfQurCIU8

Here's a video from this year (156whp limited to 8000rpm and new close ratio gearing):
https://youtu.be/vCykxfy0DEs

You can easily hear the VTEC engagement and the difference between 2nd and 3rd. I'm very happy with the results. It was well worth the time and effort (and cost...).

Here's a link to the other DSO post I made about the actual track event. You'll find more videos there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks and sounds good !

Stratton.
That car sounds great, nice work!
Thanks guys!!

I'm incredibly happy with the results.

I had someone from another forum comment on my build thread saying that he was at the track event. He said he thought my car had a K-swap due to the acceleration and short gearing. Feels good to know that I've been able to build something unexpected.

Cheers!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that comment must have made your day.

sit back drink a beer and bask in your glory ! lol.

stratton.
Already have! Lol!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
The change in performance looks and sounds great, nice work.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Stock Z6 blueprinted to SCCA IT rules (ARP rod bolts!) was found to be faster to carry a gear to 8500 rpm in 4th rather than shifting into long 5th and then back again.

Sure there was no power up there, and it sounded like it wanted to explode, but not having the two extra shifts the car was .4 seconds a lap faster.

8500 rpm on STOCK valvetrain! scary!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gearing the tranny to match the powerband and application is something most people don't get. There's so much difference in the second video. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Beave!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Gearing the tranny to match the powerband and application is something most people don't get. There's so much difference in the second video. Thanks for sharing!
nonVTEC D16A6 FP CRX chasing down the orange EG Coupe with GSR or ITR swap in STL class.

Two things that need help with the car....

The ratios I mentioned before (can't find the thread) this is the trans @ Mid Ohio.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
8500 rpm on STOCK valvetrain! scary!
Years ago I tried to blow up a 300,000k+ d15b2 that was dead stock other than converted to multipoint. The clutch was dead, it smoked and burned a bit of oil. I was running it on my b16 ECU with a limiter set somewhere around the mid 8s, maybe 8500. I started it and put a brick on the pedal and made myself a sandwich and a beer, looked outside about 10+ minutes later and the cloud of smoke was nearly obscuring the house, so I walked out and turned it off.

It was still running fine bouncing off limiter, valvetrain still sounded fine, wasnt knocking or anything, it was just 2-3 quarts low on oil. I gave the whole swap to some kid so he could rebuild it.

That would be scary as shit on a stock non vtec B series valvetrain though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts