Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently rebuilding my s20 transmission and i was checking the clearance on the mainshaft.The ISB bearing actually sits 2mm in the case and the Mainshaft itself is Zero with the case.Is that normal ?( I installed the synchro hubs, spacer , bearing ,and the shim on top of the mainshaft)
Shim thickness was 1.05mm so that's correct.I actually tought the mainshaft was always a little below the case ?

When i checked the clearance of the MF LSD it was a little on the loose side.
0.15mm or 0.006" .Oem Shim was 1.45mm so i either take 1.50mm or 1.55mm or leave it like it is.The manual says 0.004" max.Bone says 0.005"
Why is it better to have a little more clearance for example 0.005" instead of the oem recomended 0- 0.004" ?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
diff is fine, I prefer .004-.008, most MF installs have been at .003-.006" range keeping stock shim.

I never trusted mainshaft shimming per what you did. Either get the right tool like Aquafina has or measure the case gap with complete MS assembly installed including both washers. I aim for .008-.010" gap.

I keep .003, .004, .005, and .006" feeler gauges on the bench, double them for checking case gap.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I assembled the mainshaft and secundary shaft today ,and installed them into the case.I was wondering if this kind of miss alignment of the gears is normal?
I know there's is a slight miss alignment because of the springed shim on the mainshaft ,but my 2nd and 3rth gear look to be off more.

I'm using a S40 oem 4.4 FD , CRX ZC 3rd and 4th ,Gear-X 3.083 first into a
s20 case.The rest of the gears are Oem d16Z6 gears (EDM).New bearings and synchro's everywhere.

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
When the snap ring snaps in the case the countershaft will be a couple of millimeter higher Nick. By the way, the teeth of the 3rd gear to synchonize look horrible.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When the snap ring snaps in the case the countershaft will be a couple of millimeter higher Nick. By the way, the teeth of the 3rd gear to synchonize look horrible.

I know 3rd gear has some synchro teeth with a lot of wear on them ,but the overal condition is ok.(Not great)Finding a better one with these old transmissions out of beaten up crx's isn't easy.
4th Gear is brand new Rover part btw ;)
4th and 5th look to be off a few mm but my 3rd and 2nd gear looks like its off 3-4mm.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
I assembled the mainshaft and secundary shaft today ,and installed them into the case.I was wondering if this kind of miss alignment of the gears is normal?
I know there's is a slight miss alignment because of the springed shim on the mainshaft ,but my 2nd and 3rth gear look to be off more.

I had a similar issue... took out the shafts and tapped the ISB in the rest of the way. I documented it below in my trans thread;post#70.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts