Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any and all help is much appreciated. Okay so first off I'm very new to Hondas but am a seasoned mechanic. I bought a 1994 civic ex from this dude about two months ago and two weeks after buying it the head gasket blew which i kind of expected to happen. Here's the problem the guyi bought it from knew nothing about the engines history except that it has a non vtec head on a vtec car. So after getting the head checked and i took apart the bottom end to make sure everything checked out which it did i started reassembly and here is where the issues began. From what i have checked out the head is off a 96 and found this out the hard way after ordering head bolts for the 94 and they were about an inch too long so i talked with a guy at the dealership and he narrowed it down to the right ones i needed so Saturday i put everything back together and fired her up and it idles but kinda rough and its definitely running rich. My question is since i still have the vtec ecu is that causing my problems? Also has a surging idle randomly and the distributor is definitely the wrong one, it works but i can't get the ignition timing right and only 2 of the 3 bolt holes line up. Do i need the dizzy from a 96

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Need to match the motor type to the dizzy, check the badge on the left side of the motor under the radiator hose. Should say D15XX, need to know that to help more effectively. I am assuming its a d15b7 because of your year and non vtec. Yes your vtec ecu is causing it to run rich. I think a p06 is the correct ECU

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
It says d15b on the block, head says p2a-10 and dizzy says d02691. Hope this helps

I already have the non vtec head machined, inspected and installed. I'm not looking for any performance at all im just trying to put together a reliable daily with good mpg.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Looks like a D15b(92-95 Civic) with a ZC non vtec head(96-98 Civic), d16z6 distributor and prolly a z6 ecu.

As stated above the z6 head will be the easiest fix, and you get vtec's yo, they pop, lol. But seriously the vtec head would be a good upgrade and fix ya all at once. If you can get a p06 ecu you would be non vtec, you may also need a different dizzy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol idk if i can handle the vtec. My buddy has an 06 accord with a k24 turbo'd putting down a hair over 300 and that thing hauls ass for a 4 door but with my driving record the last thing i need is more power lol so since everything else is already installed and I'd prefer to not have to mess with the timing belt again or replace the head gasket and head bolts. So would you know which dizzy I'd need? I'm guessing one off a 96?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Find yourself a d16z6 head. Its the correct one for your car.

To get your car running reliably right now you will need a d15b7 distributor for your y7 head. It will run rich on the p28. A p06 would be better and you may have to change the cam gear to deal with timing issues. A lot of work to keep the wrong head on the car.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
you should find a dizzy off of a 92-95 NON vtec car. the d16z6 (92-95 sohc vtec) dizzy you have only mounts correctly to a z6 head, but the 92-95 d15b7 dizzy bolts right up to the P2A head you have installed.

also you need to trade your p28 ecu for a p06, which is a downgrade so you'll have no issues finding someone who will trade straight across :lol:

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Find yourself a d16z6 head. Its the correct one for your car.

To get your car running reliably right now you will need a d15b7 distributor for your y7 head. It will run rich on the p28. A p06 would be better and you may have to change the cam gear to deal with timing issues. A lot of work to keep the wrong head on the car.
this is really the right thing to do here, more power too

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Lol idk if i can handle the vtec. My buddy has an 06 accord with a k24 turbo'd putting down a hair over 300 and that thing hauls ass for a 4 door but with my driving record the last thing i need is more power lol so since everything else is already installed and I'd prefer to not have to mess with the timing belt again or replace the head gasket and head bolts. So would you know which dizzy I'd need? I'm guessing one off a 96?
Stock civics are not fast.

I agree with chrisfrom1986. Head swap and done.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I have a y8, vtec and all, still get passed by minivans. Swap the head like I and others have said, then move on.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don't worry about v-tec giving you power. It doesn't. It kills any low-end the motor could have had. It's just a sales ploy. Higher mpgs+ high top end hp numbers...

A v-tec motor with a non v head, and a v ecu is quite a poor combination. Get a d16a6 or a zc... You'll be much happier with either of those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay kept the non vtec head and got the correct computer and dizzy for 60 bucks, ran great after i got the ignition timing correct, had a problem woot the tps or so i thought now whenever i go over quarter throttle it acts like its at a rev limiter, also it has a surge when throttle is barely applied.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct distributor/head/ecu combo? It sounds like something is still not matching. If your ecu has been socketed and tuned, then you'll have to retune it to match your setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought I had everything right with a junkyard dizzy. NOPE. Ha d to buy a new one and got rid of that 2500 to 4500 rpm surge issue I think you are referring to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts