Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I could soak small parts like rocker arms and other valvetrain parts in like diesel or a carb soak to clean them. Then take a wire brush for finishing and getting the more stuck on stuff. I just got the head of the z6 I bought apart and I will be having a valve job done soon. I didn't want to bolt dirty parts onto a fresh head and was wondering if this was a safe way to do it.

What about sensors if they're really dirty in the head obviously I can soak them because of the plastic and electrical in them, but I can spray them with something and brush off anything especially bad. Would carb cleaner be a safe spray to use?

I did do some searching but the words I used I guess were not the best or something since I didn't get the direct answer I was looking for.

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
why not use de-greaser? a little more fire proof and you can rinse those parts off with water then soak with wd-40.

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used Chem-tool b12 in my fuel system for my bug a lot after I freshened up my carburetor and re-jetted it since it had varnish and stuff building up in it. I took the top of the carb off to reset the float while tuning and the inside of the carb was spotless.

I think I'll do the chem-dip and after reading you didn't do more than shake the can once and they came out clean then that is what I will do for the rocker arm assembly and stuff since the head will be cleaned by the machine shop.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts
I used Chem-tool b12 in my fuel system for my bug a lot after I freshened up my carburetor and re-jetted it since it had varnish and stuff building up in it. I took the top of the carb off to reset the float while tuning and the inside of the carb was spotless.

I think I'll do the chem-dip and after reading you didn't do more than shake the can once and they came out clean then that is what I will do for the rocker arm assembly and stuff since the head will be cleaned by the machine shop.
You might have to wipe them off with a red shop rag or something but very little agitation is required.

I used it for my rocker assembly.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You might have to wipe them off with a red shop rag or something but very little agitation is required.

I used it for my rocker assembly.

Before:

After:

My head basically is that same brown color. Somebody wasn't too good about changing the oil apparently

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,928 Posts
How does the rocker shaft look? If you can feel raised/depressed areas then it's prob a good idea to replace the shaft.

Don't clean ANY sensor by dipping it into a solution. IACV's and EGR valves can be cleaned with TB cleaner and q-tips. Those are the only things you might need to clean

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rocker shaft is toast, has gouges in it. All but two of the cam holders are stuck on and I have to use a mallet to tap them off. I'll borrow my friend's digital micrometer and measure the rocker arms after I clean them. It seems this motor has had many many oil-change-free miles on it. :/ You get what you pay for $120 for a z6 motor lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts