Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most cost effective and efficient way to clean the metal shavings from my motor?

Its no chunks, just magnetic shavings that are assumed to be my turbo bearing ground up, the turbo doesn't spin hardly by hand, I mean it literally spins about 1/8th a turn when you spin it by hand.

The reason I say cost effective is because if I spun a rod in the motor I'd hate to spend 50$ cleaning the motor(oil,filter,cleaning junk?) just to find that out.

Name brands of cleaning stuff, seafoam(LOL)? I am thinking get some old oil without metal shavings in it, run the oil through it mixed with seafoam and use and old oil filter without metal shavings in it?

What works?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
You are screwed.... You honestly need to pull it out and disassemble it to get out all of the shavings.. If not, you run a high risk of hurting alot more of your engine...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
At the very MINIMUM I'd pull the oil pan and clean both the pan and oil pickup, plus replace the oil filter. Here you can at least do a tactile check for spun rod bearing(s), but I don't know if it can be felt by hand since I've never found one before. Main bearings, dunno if you can see that. Probably not.

If applicable also remove, clean, and if necessary replace the vtec solenoid gasket-screen (replacing the 3 mounting bolts if never changed out before).

Gasket is about $15, Hondabond-4 is $6, vtec gasket-screen if needed is cheap too.

At this point change out/ repair the turbo.

When all done, fill with cheap 10w30, run for 5 minutes, change out oil, put in good stuff, and run.

Then again I'm a cheapo hopeful person and if a main is spun you're back at square one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yup

and I would say dont delay because a problem like that could turn out that you wouldnt want that engine anymore let alone clean it

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Green Hornet, I don't want to waste time pulling a D15B7 and cleaning it, its not exactly the Rolls Royce of the D series. I can get another B7 cheap. I'm going to just do it the ghetto way, drop the oil pan, clean it, clean the oil pick up. Run cheapo, flush and drive if applicable.

I'll drop the oil pan and clean the pickup again after I run cheapo.

If its bad I'll swap the Y8, the B7 is not too sentimental IMO, its been my DOG motor and has held up better than I could have ever imagined.

·
Registered
720 Posts
u can also put a magnet r series of magnets on the oil filter, ive seen that werk b4, but if its aluminum ur look'n for im not sure...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts