Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to clean cylinder heads and it's components? Do you use something different for the block and it's components. What about intake manifold etc.?

I live in Edmonton Canada so stuff i could get here perferably.

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Can you get Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean? Those work real good. If you don't wear gloves it will make for a nice chemical peel on your hands. The stuff works great with little scrubbing. Paintable clean.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll check at candaian tire when i stop there in a bit. Never heard of the products before though. we will see. Thanks.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Both can be had at your local parts store, I'd recommend soaking the parts (or spaying them heavily) and letting them sit for a while. Then take it down to your local car wash and pressure was it till it's one solid color!

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
no just your hands. Lol! it should be fine since it desinged for automotive.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I agree. Ive heard that hot tanking aluminum can be bed. it eats into the metal. thats what Ive heard but definetly get it clean.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
using a pressurewasher mixed with soap is great for washing the head, but what about the smaller parts? I know just wire wheel the valves but what should I use/ do to clean the parts of rocker assembly when I pull it apart?

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Try brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Cuts threw caked on grease and grunge. Or hot h2o and Dawn.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12ozwrecker, i am not going to blast those small parts with a pressure washer. I'll be chasing them around the floor.

No advance auto parts in edmonton. I will look for purple power, other than that i guess i will experiment with some degreasers/cleaners and what not.

The head is in good shape visually at least. I would spec it out but i do not have any precision tools available to use anymore. I am in the process of building my own collection. Will make a build thread and post pics later. Take it easy guys :)

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Build yourself a little cage out of some screen door material. (the metal kind of course) If you go the pressure washer route. Starting at a pressure wash works great. A wheel brush with Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean. Again I can't stress the wearing gloves part any more. Wear gloves. It's not like an instant burn, but your hands will be all shinney looking one day, and the next it will look like you are shedding.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,929 Posts
Chem-Dip for small parts like rocker arms, rocker shafts, etc.

Parts Cleaners

Soak for a few hours, shake the can, soak for another couple of hours and you have pristine looking parts with no manual agitation.

For big things like engine blocks and complete cylinder head castings, I would suggest taking it to a machine shop to have it cleaned. There are hot tank chemical solutions for aluminum so don't worry about etching...just make sure you're not taking your stuff to some half-wit noob that's stuck in the 50's and you shuold be fine.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did some hardcore searching yesterday, and as far as cleaning solutions, they are all shit, canada blows for regulations!
What i got was this super clean concentrate spray a small brass brush and a small dremel brass wire wheel.
I also have a varsol tank at work. I am going to give that a shot and see if that stuck on shit will come off.
I will win!! lol

The thing is i want to find something to use so that i can clean parts myself instead of having to get em dunked cause this stuff will be pulled apart frequently. Thanks guys. I will post picks and start a build thread. I am trying to decide if i should just post threads for the small stuff and then post links in a build thread or just post in both. Is it worth having a two year long build thread? lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts