Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 JT1 yamaha 2 stroke im playing with. Im stuck though. It cranks up and will run for a minute or two then it slowly dies like its choking from no gas.
When i get it moving it hauls ass threw 1st and 2nd but bogs down after i shift into 3rd..

Heres what ive done to fix the problem
-Cleaned fuel lines ( helped alittle )
-Cleaned Carburetor and Float ( helped alittle )
-Put in a new spark plug ( helped alot )
-I also cleaned the gas tank out
Not sure where to go from here. any suggestions?

thanks for any help :bigok:

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
are the carb/s adjusted properly?

·
Premium Member
Ms. Daisy
1,044 Posts
my advice: get something other than a yamaha-hahaha. :) lol

nah, my yahama 80cc did the same thing and I just cleaned it all out and it worked fine. Is there a fuel control valve on yours?

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my advice: get something other than a yamaha-hahaha. :) lol

nah, my yahama 80cc did the same thing and I just cleaned it all out and it worked fine. Is there a fuel control valve on yours?
There used to be but i stripped it out and cant get it back on so i afro engineered a fuel line without the control valve...do i need it?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i think you need to recheck your cleaning job on the carb make sure all circuits and jets are real clean a tiny peice of dirt can cause big problems. im really not familier with a jt1 but i do know a pretty good bit about 2 strokes and newer yamaha 2 strokes it should have reeds in the intake side of the jug check them to make sure there not cracked

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
w/e Edwardo

shit if i would have known you were going to be a dick about it i wouldve waited another week, and if you wouldve had me kicked off, how would you get your money?
actually i dont care
stop filling my thread with your bitch'n

...wheres my baby powdah

SLAP

HAHAHa PEACE
i was about to help you until i read this in your for sale thread.. if you want to act like an idiot when it comes to dealing with other members here then go to another site for your technical help

·
Premium Member
Ms. Daisy
1,044 Posts
There used to be but i stripped it out and cant get it back on so i afro engineered a fuel line without the control valve...do i need it?
I would assume so. When ever mine started acting up I would just adjust the vavle and it started actin straight. The fuel line you put in in its place must not be letting enough fuel through.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It cranks up and will run for a minute or two then it slowly dies like its choking from no gas.
Is the vent on the tank clear?
That's just a dumb easy thing to check that could cause the prob your describing. But If it's something else a little more info on the engine...

good compression?
Original electronics (coil, stator, etc.)?
Does the motor turn nicely with plug out (the main and rod bearings smooth)?

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was about to help you until i read this in your for sale thread.. if you want to act like an idiot when it comes to dealing with other members here then go to another site for your technical help
I was joking, sorry to affend

The fuel line you put in in its place must not be letting enough fuel through.
This might be the problem.

Is the vent on the tank clear?
That's just a dumb easy thing to check that could cause the prob your describing. But If it's something else a little more info on the engine...

good compression?
Original electronics (coil, stator, etc.)?
Does the motor turn nicely with plug out (the main and rod bearings smooth)?
I cleaned the tank yesturday and wow, alot of gunk came out lol, so i re-cleaned the carb,lines but it still does the same thing. maybe the fuel line is the problem..

Compression seems okay, the motor turns freely. How can i check the coil and stator?( whats a stator )

THANKs for the replies

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was joking, sorry to affend

I cleaned the tank yesturday and wow, alot of gunk came out lol, so i re-cleaned the carb,lines but it still does the same thing. maybe the fuel line is the problem..

THANKs for the replies
but did you check the vent? Theres a hose that sticks up out of the gas cap. you should be able to blow air down into it. If not.... the tank turns into a vacuum after some gas gets drawn out. then your carb gets starved for gas a few minutes after you get it running (sound familiar?)

You should be able to check the coil with a volt ohm meter (you'll need the factory specs).
The stator is the electrical unit under the flywheel. You can check that with a volt ohm also.

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but did you check the vent? Theres a hose that sticks up out of the gas cap. you should be able to blow air down into it. If not.... the tank turns into a vacuum after some gas gets drawn out. then your carb gets starved for gas a few minutes after you get it running (sound familiar?)

You should be able to check the coil with a volt ohm meter (you'll need the factory specs).
The stator is the electrical unit under the flywheel. You can check that with a volt ohm also.
it doesnt have a vent for some reason, i pulled the cap off and cranked it up, but the same thing happened.

Did i mention it only cranks with starter fluid..

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
For fucks sake, your describging pilot jet issues take the advice in your thread

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Read 2nd post.... then do it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Could the fuel line without the control valve maybe be letting too much fuel in. It seems to me like a control valve would be for limiting fuel going into the engine. Perhaps it is slowly flooding?

Maybe rejet the carb too. Or maybe a new one, could the one you have be worn out?

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
no. its just gravity pressure!!! unless you have the most wornout needle seats i have ever seen, as in completely non funciontal, the gravity pressure is not gonna blow it past the needle seats!

god if you know nothing about carbs dont post! i dont post in computer threads or shit i know nothing about.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
well As you know Wiese.. we are pic whoress.. and even tho I don't think it'll do too much good... WE WANT PICS!!!!!

And not just the ones from when you were tryin to sell it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts