Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D16Y7, My car recently broke down. Before it broke down the engine would start to cut out, and lose power. It became more and more frequent until it finally broke down. I used to be able to drive it for a 1/4 mile or so before it would act up and break down again but now it is broke down and I can't get spark. When it would break down it would sputter. The tach would just fluctuate around 0, and when it finally did die, it would sometimes backfire or smoke would come out the intake. I checked for spark on all my cylinders but by the time I got to the last one I stopped getting spark. I thought it may have been the ignition coil so I put a different blaster 2 coil to it and still nothing. Now I don't get spark to anywhere. I changed my spark plugs because they were fouled out. I also changed the cap and rotor. This had no effect on my problem. All symptoms point to a bad CKP but I was making sure it wasn't just the MSD that went bad. I also checked the female end of the wiring harness for the CKP with a test light and got no power to anything? I don't know if that is supposed to have power or not. My car had a code for a speed sensor before it broke down but now it doesn't have any codes at all. When my car is sputtering, pressing the throttle does nothing. Now I don't get any spark, so my car won't start. I was making sure that the MSD didn't just go bad before I dug down in and changed the sensor. Thanks for all of your help, I am young and inexperienced.

Chris.

·
Registered
80 Posts
rewire your msd inside the dizzy

if that done work try a new icm

it sounds more like the wiring in the dizzy just from personal experience

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dizzy? Are you sure, I don't want to waste money so I am just trying to make sure.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
use a test light connected to one of the injector plugs and see if it flashes when you crank. if it doesn't, then your CKP is shot and the ECU cannot sense the engine turning. if it flashes, there is something up with the ignition system.

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
Hondas don't use the ckps to run the engine, the ckp is used in conjunction with the dizzy sensors to be able to tell when a misfire has occurred. Its all at your dizzy.

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the CKP is in the dizzy and the CKF is on the shaft itself? I am confused. Haha. I don't have a test light to throw on an injector plug so what do I do now?

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
msd's give people trouble consistently. you dont really need one, stock coils work fine for very high hp. sell it on to someone who doesn't know this and recover some of your money.

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I don't know how to hook up the stock ignition.. I bought the car with the msd. So is the msd my problem? or the dizzy?

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to go with the MSD too, I ohm'd out all my sensors in the distributor and they all check out fine.

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Because it isn't throwing a code and the only other thing it could be is the ICM? But I don't know if my set up has one -_-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts