Honda D Series Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
hey everyone well tried the car for a few days its good& nice, little on the lean side of fuel but the main and only problem is space issue, basically i cant fit anything any more .so no water cooling system, no chance for turbo ,its not just the supercharger i have been adding stuff under the hood over the years my weight distribution is like 90-10 lol i have two extra fans and engine oil cooler and power steering oil cooler inside the bumper, the list just goes on and on ...so i have to start removing stuff if i have to do things properly.

anther issue its not having the tucked look i was looking for .

So i actually bought a junk 96 hatch without even checking it as a donor vehicle , it was cheap anyway .
after delivery i found out that the body is in bad shape ,all suspension require replacing so it only can donate some plastic trim , ac system and all the small stuff that i rather not look for in junk yards.
but it have a d16y8 a 2.5 free flow exhaust and manual transmission and a weird ecu (i don't know why i keep getting those).

So after some thinking which i think i shouldn't .i decided i will built a track car out off it ,remove all the unrequired stuff ,my local track require the upper half of the dashboard and one working headlight and taillight and alternator & starter, twin charge it and be free to do what i want.

after all what i was thinking trying to fit a million thing inside a small bay .

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
ah ok ..... well it was the only place to store without losing them....

is it worth it BTW any info ?

i looked around its Newzeland spec thats what i could find

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
LoL. You put this giant twin charge setup w 6 belts and you’re worried about having a tucked engine bay??
did you watch the video , i cannot even put one of those big cone filter... its that bad ,the SC size is not the only problem , The AC , power steering pipes and hoses,All the extra wiring for fog lights , air horn ,aux fans , boost controller ....

actually the belt setup seems to be better than a single one , after balancing i have zero slip even turning the sc while driving at any rpm.

And single seat ,no interior,fiberglass doors,lexan windows sounds more fun

·
Registered
284 Posts
a shout out to rabid man you helped me alot

i mean you build thread was inspiring
Thanks!

I would put a support under the intake of that thing if you want it to survive. Vibration and weight will crack welds.

Your bypass motor is very nice. Does it have limit switches built into it? If it just runs from 12 volts, then you'll hit the stops and burn up the motor unless there's switches in it.

If you don't bypass the supercharger when the turbo makes boost, you'll get very high boost pressure and high air temperature. If you do open the bypass, it must be done in a controlled way or all you'll have is an engine with a supercharger and turbo but not at the same time.

Small belts are easier to deal with tension. You can make them really tight to and the stretch won't be enough to loosen them. My 46" belt stretches like crazy and it's taken me years to perfect the automatic tensioner system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might not want to keep those screws inside there talk about a weird ECU issue this could be a contributing factor. Magnetic trays from harbor freight ftw brother!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks!

I would put a support under the intake of that thing if you want it to survive. Vibration and weight will crack welds.

Your bypass motor is very nice. Does it have limit switches built into it? If it just runs from 12 volts, then you'll hit the stops and burn up the motor unless there's switches in it.

If you don't bypass the supercharger when the turbo makes boost, you'll get very high boost pressure and high air temperature. If you do open the bypass, it must be done in a controlled way or all you'll have is an engine with a supercharger and turbo but not at the same time.

Small belts are easier to deal with tension. You can make them really tight to and the stretch won't be enough to loosen them. My 46" belt stretches like crazy and it's taken me years to perfect the automatic tensioner system.
your right , i am not happy with the way its supported even if the machinist keep saying its ok .

i did remove everything because of two issues A- fuel issue which i will explain
B-the pulley above the PS pulley... will after a day of use it started to become noisy, even though its supported by two bearings it seems the lateral load is too big to handle . so i think the power steering pump have to go.
c-they project will be moved to my new civic (also a hatchback ) as a track only car.
even if a lot of people here disagree but in order to get best results i need to remove AC,PS,Heater
also a proper ecu as you mentioned to control everything is a must
And after all of that i will start suffering axle issues ,so why not a 4wd or awd

So the red one will get a small turbo and that's it for it ,,,,and thats why most people choose turbo over super.

i just did the whole interior in smoke black leather ,fitted a new stereo system , i will put some new 16 rims and post some pictures .

As for twin charge, over this spring ,summer i will start gathering parts so by fall the project will be back on track.

As for the bypass motor its a throttle out of a Nissan as i said before , yes it does have a limit switch also very reliable , we used it in my brother supercharged srt8 challenger with much better success , similar sc btw ,the cool thing is that with all the better engine management systems it required no extra work,,, just fitting the sc .

hahaha again with the ecu ,,, i have i think 4 laying around so if its not a vtec ecu or not chipable its not worth much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
As for my fuel issue ,

With the SC car was running rich 10:1
tried lowering fuel pressure didnt help much and the sparked plugged got fooled within a day .

it seemed it was a broken ect pigtail which i couldn't access with out removing the sc

now the car lean only under acceleration , fuel pressure 50 even tried 60 ,
my vaccum is 21inhg
idle i get 14:1 and am using a narrowband 3 wire o2 sensor
after 2500 rpm i get 20:1

any ideas ??

my babies

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
ideas....

if you didn't already ,install some atleast 32lb/hr injectors.

cease and desist the use of a narrow band 02, sure it can give you an idea but ...personally I like to bang with the lights on..

why you messin with fuel pressure ?

if your injectors are the "right" size everything should follow through once the megasQuirt gets what it wants...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
but the`lady likes the light off or at least dimmed x)

thanks a lot those ideas are really helping me ,any idea on a good set of injectors

am removing the o2 sensor and will be using 4 egt sensors

by megaquirt i mean i will be using a megasquirt still using shitty oem ecu .... talked to local tuners they no longer work with chipped ecus or anything other than link ,motec,megasquirt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
You might not want to keep those screws inside there talk about a weird ECU issue this could be a contributing factor. Magnetic trays from harbor freight ftw brother!
so you signed up just for the screws man :3dbiggrin:

its not a weird ecu issue as in i keep getting weird non standard models

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Update:
This project is alive and well BUTT

after some testing and R&D (tring to sound fancy) my original plan to build a fire breathing road d16 civic is not gonna work .
SO its a fire breathing D16 drag car :clap:.

other things worth mentioning : the clutch will go as you will find your self never turning the SC off.
the dual throttle :hmm its nice on paper but why bother after all the turbo reacts like its installed on a larger engine .

the intercooler : hmm too small to work too complicated , so am gonna run the biggest FMIC i can fit with some cro2 spray.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts