Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometime last December, a friend sought my help in fixing a botched R18 turbo job in his FD2 Civic. The installation was atrocious, materials used below par, and some stuff was an outright safety hazard.

Just to give you an example, this guy was sold a twin scroll TD05 off an Evo 4 to run on his R18 that came with a single exhaust port, thanks to the integrated exhaust manifold. The Evo in question was running with a half melted piston that at some point shot pieces into the exhaust and chipped the turbine wheel.

Coming to the engine, it was running Iridium plugs with two of the electrodes broken at the bend after a failed attempt to gap them, and badly leaky valves. We were discussing what to do with the engine when an idea struck, and we figured that effort would be better spent in sourcing and boosting a K series. So we went about looking for a K24 without the IEM crap. We ended up finding a K24 off a crashed CR-V.

The intake manifold was completely smashed, and we were having issues sourcing one for a good price, so we decided to run a set of CBR 954 ITBs I had lying unused with me.

Tore down the engine and made a list of parts that needed replacement, and ordered them from HondaPartsNow.

Here's the plan so far:
K24A1 swap
OE pistons and rings, first oversize
New set of bearings and thrust washers
Oil jet retrofit
CSS style block reinforcement
TD05 turbo with ITBs and custom plumbing all around
Electronic throttle delete and cable throttle addition
Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 ECU

Some WIP pics:

ITBs

Internals

Oil jet retrofit

Block reinforcement

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More pics...

Rear torque mount

Front torque mount

Passenger side mount

Driver side mount

That's all I have for now. It should be interesting to see where and how this build ends up. The only target I have is to do a clean, strong install and see how far we can push the engine without making the driving experience too hairy.

Attachments

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I would suggest the k20z3 head as it has the best all around performance of the k series engines. k24 heads are known for poor flow issues. they bolt right up too.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suggest the k20z3 head as it has the best all around performance of the k series engines. k24 heads are known for poor flow issues. they bolt right up too.
I'd love a K20 head and 6 speed tranny, but that stuff will be prohibitively expensive to import, so am working with what's available locally.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
No it doesn't come with squirters from the factory. The block has blank spots for the squirters, which we drilled and tapped, then procured the nozzles and bolts from HPN.
:TU: very nice, do all K platforms share the same oilpump? Seems like any oem block with squirters usually has a massively oversized oiling system which is great at keeping bearings alive, not to mention great for piston strength/longevity

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:TU: very nice, do all K platforms share the same oilpump? Seems like any oem block with squirters usually has a massively oversized oiling system which is great at keeping bearings alive, not to mention great for piston strength/longevity
Thanks. :)

I'm not sure if all oil pumps are the same. I'd like to think so. However, I do know that some of the pumps come with balance shafts attached while others that rev high like the K20 Type R don't.

I insisted on OE pistons in this build because I trust the metallurgy. That made it even more important that the pistons run as cool as they can. Plus, the block had exact spots demarcated for the squirters. All that was required was to locate the hole centers and drill away. So why the hell not? Heh.

Fun fact that I observed elsewhere online is that some people actually pinch off these squirters to preserve oil pressure at high RPMs. Also, the factory banjo bolt is anything but a simple bolt. It has a spring loaded mechanism inside it that will activate the squirter after a certain oil pressure is built.

Boost and throttle bodies, are you going to make a dual plenum intake manifold?
A plenum before the throttle bodies, and a vacuum log with a check valve per cylinder to preserve vacuum. If things go the way I visualize, we'll have a vacuum signal just like a regular single TB manifold, and rock steady idle.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
539 Posts
Dual plenums aren't for vacuum issues or anything, they help distribute the boost over the throttle bodies, or runnres evenly.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm aware of the dual plenum manifolds you're referring to. Audis used them a lot in their rally cars if I remember. But those are meant to equate flow where you have a single TB mounted to a side. In an ITB setup, those shouldn't be necessary at all.

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
It will help on both setups.

Its pretty damn sexy too.
Looks like one of the VAG racing intakes, looks good

Interested in the numbers pulled from this.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
the oil pumps are different. some pumps like the f20c can be modified to work. some k24 pumps will cavitate after a certain rpm. if you plan on revving high.
K20/K24 Hybrid Engine Build Guide | Hybrid Racing
try this article. It explains a lot about k24 hybrid systems

·
Registered
1994 EH9
186 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some numbers, subscribing to this one for sure now that my daily is an FA5 (K20Z3)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts