Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,444 Posts
so jealous, I work at an electrical warehouse and have always dreamt about having an EV swap in my Ferio. :punk:

Reactions: transzex

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I checked out the blog, do you have any interior shots. Like what you have for gauges and what not.

Do you have an RPM gauge or do you go by feel?
I modified the gauge cluster to move the odometer over, and incorporated a 7" touchscreen which interfaces to an Odroid android single board computer. It had Wifi, Bluetooth which interfaces to some sensors measuring pack voltage and current for the display, and also has Ethernet to setup the motor controller. The motor controller had a built in rev limiter, but honestly you feel the power drop off pretty drastically, so you always know when you are at around 4k or so...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
What transmission are you using? what gear set and final?

if you are only getting 4k rpm of worthy power, sounds like you might want to swap your LSD into a civic VX casing with a couple gear swaps to close the gaps

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
What transmission are you using? what gear set and final?

if you are only getting 4k rpm of worthy power, sounds like you might want to swap your LSD into a civic VX casing with a couple gear swaps to close the gaps
It's currently a S40 from a 96 EX with a Quaife LSD. I really do want change the final drive to 3.25... I currently have a WTB in the classified section. If any one has an old CX/VX S20/P20 I would be interested in the FD...

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
757 Posts
It's currently a S40 from a 96 EX with a Quaife LSD. I really do want change the final drive to 3.25... I currently have a WTB in the classified section. If any one has an old CX/VX S20/P20 I would be interested in the FD...
Check with Bone he usually has one laying around.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So out of curiosity, why did you decide to keep the transmission? A friend who builds EV bikes has been talking with me about going EV in a CRX with a Nissian Leaf powerplant, but likely I would just use the leaf transaxle which is a simple ~8:1 gear reduction with no shifting, which would be similar to driving in second all the time with an EX transmission. But usually with EV the motor efficency range is so much higher than with gas engines the parasitic drag of the transmission makes shifting not worth it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Ahhh never mind, I see that your motor basically has to use a transmission because its max rpm is so low. That makes more sense.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So out of curiosity, why did you decide to keep the transmission? A friend who builds EV bikes has been talking with me about going EV in a CRX with a Nissian Leaf powerplant, but likely I would just use the leaf transaxle which is a simple ~8:1 gear reduction with no shifting, which would be similar to driving in second all the time with an EX transmission. But usually with EV the motor efficency range is so much higher than with gas engines the parasitic drag of the transmission makes shifting not worth it.
Answered in other thread...

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Have you looked at the Honda Fit EV? I wonder if it uses a traditional transmission (or possibly a CVT)

THey seeem to do fairly well on the efficiency margin of things

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some of the old timers on here may remember me... I built a turbo D18Y7.

It was fun while it lasted. I ended up putting 2 nice holes in one of the pistons... 2 pieces of the piston edge near the valve relief couldn't take the abuse any longer.

In addition, I'm in California, so it was time to get smog legal. Putting the stock 106hp motor back in there will be a bit of a let down, and a B16/18 would still be an issue for smog. Since I am now employed making battery management ICs for the major OEMs, I thought maybe I should make my own electric car!

So, here it is:

You can check out more details in my blog: 1996 Civic Hatchback EV

Cheers!
Stephen
Hello Stephen.
I wish to convert my 1990 D14A1 Civic Hatchback into EV. Do you know where I can find the transmission adapter?
Thanks

41 - 53 of 53 Posts