Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,920 Posts
dude, you are badass man. I love all your stuff, this thread and your fs threads

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
This is cool!! You got any vids of the car?

Reactions: rico58204

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A little late with updates... Here are some photos from the Refuel event at Laguna Seca in June:

It was a really hot day, and noticed the motor controller was temperature limiting the current output to around 300-400A or so after a couple of laps. Later when I inspected the motor controller water cooling lines at the controller inlet and outlet, I found they were dry, so no cooling at all! There was some air in the lines, and honestly the water circuit was not designed right. I have since rerouted the entire motor controller cooling circuit, adding a reservoir just higher than the controller, which seems to have cleared up the cooling problem. I will also add a fan soon to the heat exchanger.

While I was in there in also changed my home made vacuum reservoir to a more compact and lightweight commercial unit and changed the vacuum pump to an OEM unit from Hella. Now it's so silent you can't even hear it!

I've also started designing a new battery pack targeting ~280V+ to ensure I can get full power at all times. I could even start to play with higher voltage vs current to the motor to try to tune the torque curve a bit. It will also be lighter and smaller, making room for adding RWD at some point in the near future. I already have EF5 rear trailing arms on their way, and a rear motor/generator unit from a Toyota Highlander Hybrid to start playing with...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Would be cool to see a video of the car going by, all eerily quiet and super awesome all at once.

Good to see it is still being developed.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
How did I miss this thread?!?!?!

Way cool.

I'm assuming this passes smog....LOL.

Reactions: Whoshot

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
a rear motor/generator unit from a Toyota Highlander Hybrid to start playing with...
I assume the rear unit from a 4wd one. Those put down some serious torque.

Glad to see this thread updated and alive!!!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,648 Posts
what about regen under braking/down hills?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
curious how you go about dealing with the dmv, can they require you to smog the car now that it doesnt have an Internal combustion engine in it? we need more pictures i want to see how its all set up and how you transfer the power to the wheels. also where is the charge port, front grill or rear bumper?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
The DMV was easy... They just wanted me to open the hood to verify there was no engine. That was all they needed to change the title from g to e. I also did an "alternative fuel verification inspection" at the local California BAR who then went into the CA computer and made the VIN exempt from smog.

You can find more details on the build in my blog.

The charge port is here:

Attachments

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
The DMV was easy... They just wanted me to open the hood to verify there was no engine. That was all they needed to change the title from g to e. I also did an "alternative fuel verification inspection" at the local California BAR who then went into the CA computer and made the VIN exempt from smog.

You can find more details on the build in my blog.

The charge port is here:
So if you got tired of electric you can swap back in a turbo y8 setup and never deal with smog again :TU: ,I don't advise it though because this is bad ass. Damn that charge port being hidden is sweet to

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
That charging point is pretty amusing and awesome.

Great setup. If you grab the rear setup from a toyota hybrid, do you have to do anything to the front setup? gear change? or are you JUST getting power from the planned rear?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Hopefully just a little more power from the rear and some regen. I shouldn't have to do anything to the front. I could try to implement a sort of zero lift throttle by using a clutch pedal sensor to interrupt the front throttle signal... I'll also need to use the reverse switch to turn off the rear throttle when backing up.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Thats awesome to see that thing go around the track.

How is the handling effected? Is the curb weight up very much compared to stock?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
It is heavier than stock... about 2900lbs right now. However, it has about 50/50 weight distribution, and very low center of gravity, so it corners awesome. There is extra bracing in the rear, the batteries in the front incorporate a strut tower brace, and the rear crossmember was doubled welded when I had that replaced years ago, so the car is stronger than stock. I have a set of eco tires but honestly, I'm having so much fun with the sticky wide tires I haven't changed back!

With the new battery pack I would like to change the balance to something like 55/45 to get a bit more forward bias for better traction. The LSD already really helps too.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts