Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the old timers on here may remember me... I built a turbo D18Y7.

It was fun while it lasted. I ended up putting 2 nice holes in one of the pistons... 2 pieces of the piston edge near the valve relief couldn't take the abuse any longer.

In addition, I'm in California, so it was time to get smog legal. Putting the stock 106hp motor back in there will be a bit of a let down, and a B16/18 would still be an issue for smog. Since I am now employed making battery management ICs for the major OEMs, I thought maybe I should make my own electric car!

So, here it is:

You can check out more details in my blog: 1996 Civic Hatchback EV

Cheers!
Stephen

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Holy s#!t.........um dumb founded, be back in a sec....

edit: Read the blog...yeah not all of it but skimmed and read the last page. Really cool idea.

edit edit: So the 170kw engine, does this translate over directly, as in about 228hp?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
lithium cells, nice!

you make PMICs for car OEMs or other battery OEMs?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Holy s#!t.........um dumb founded, be back in a sec....

edit: Read the blog...yeah not all of it but skimmed and read the last page. Really cool idea.

edit edit: So the 170kw engine, does this translate over directly, as in about 228hp?
Yep, that's right... :)

It chirps the tires leaving the line in 3rd gear.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Both... We work with just about all the OEMs.
I've been racking my brain to figure it out, who made those cells? not enersys, not exide, not a123, not panasonic, not JCI... then who?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
So weight difference, if you know? Curious about the offset. Seriously cool, I like this a lot. Been showing every nerd I know, we are nerding out on this. In for more.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've been racking my brain to figure it out, who made those cells? not enersys, not exide, not a123, not panasonic, not JCI... then who?
These particular cells are made by a company called Thundersky (similar to Sinopoly, Voltronix, Winston, etc.) out of China. There are dozens of companies though in just about any form factor you can think of... Here's an example:
Batteries, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

Check out the BMw they've built:
http://insideevs.com/ev-west-builds-electric-bmw-m3-with-far-too-much-torque-video/

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So weight difference, if you know? Curious about the offset. Seriously cool, I like this a lot. Been showing every nerd I know, we are nerding out on this. In for more.
It is heavier for sure. I have only 45 cells installed at the moment, and I figure I'll go up to 51. That equates to ~632lbs of batteries, plus 140lbs for the motor, maybe 50lbs for other misc stuff. Minus whatever came out, I figure I'm currently around 2800lbs. I need to take it some scales to get it weighed to know for sure...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
With the instant torque and decent power you wont feel the 650 or so more pounds the same as in a gas motor equivalent. I am really impressed at what DSO brings to the table some days, others not so much but today is one of the inspiring ones for sure. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts