Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1993 honda civic ex that i race on a oval third mile track.. needless to say the third gear ratio is not correct. im roughly putting out around 4300 rpms and need to be around 6500.... I run 185 60 r 14 for tires.. i need to know in that year tranny, where i can purchase a third gear with the correct ratio for the third mile track.. or is it possible to swap to a cable and use a different tranny.. please let me know of all possibilities...Thanks guys engine is a d16z6.. p.s. and I only use first, second, and third gear. it just that third gear is not geared correctly to put me up to about 6700rpms..

·
Registered
636 Posts
what is your budget? mfactory one of the sponsors on here has gear sets for our cars as well as final drives that might match what you need.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
MFactory 1.565 3rd is what you need. See my section on here for pricing and info on it.

4,300 with the stock 3rd gets you 55mph

6,700 with the MFactory 3rd gets you 68mph

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Are you allowed to touch the ECU? I'd raise the rev limit and ride it out in second.

Or toss in a DX tranny and run second.

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
i have same problem brother.I actually have your other thread in my subscrition so i can find it easier.http://www.d-series.org/forums/transmission-alley/115010-need-more-rpms.html.Here is another link to play with the gears with.Fatboy Raceworks Graphical Transmission Gear Ratio Calculator
I have ran 8k rpms in second with 195-70-14's and have blown a few bottom ends cause of it.Dont go above 7500 unless your running forged rods.
I am sending you a pm.Bullharly

I gotta be secretive too Kyle...LOL>

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Is it a banked track?
How many laps?
Do you have to down shift to 2nd in the corner?

I used to race 1/4 mile banked oval in a 92 teg. 3rd gear the whole time. shifting seems to beat it up too much and beat me up too much. 75-100 lap races, no cautions, no slicks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its banked a little..i dont shift to 2nd in the corners always third..25 laps street tires too..I put a new fly wheel 8.5lbs steel with a stage one clutch kit.. after it wemt from 5200 to 4300 rpms.. it was an old clutch that i replaced..old clutch could of been slipping... dont have an answer for that one.. to answer jeremy's question

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed a 8.5 lb steel fly wheel this year with a stage one clutch kit.. it all came together.. last year with original clutch it was 5200rpms and with the new stuff uts 4200rpms.. what i need is for that third gear to pull me hard right off the corners..i dont know how to navagate to see your pricing but will try.. if you can send me a price that would be great.. ie shipping address.. thanks again aquafina.. i will also be looking for a lsd for that transmission too !!

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
The clutch was likely slipping, the weight of the flywheel doesn't affect RPM while in gear, only lets you accelerate faster/slower (weight of the flywheel and speed at start of acceleration are the variables). The 1.565 3rd will definitely pull hard for you. Just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another question for you guys.. If i swapped from a hydro tranny to a cable could i run an si transmission? from say like a 90 91 ?? there gearing for that track seem great.. just a thought..seems like they would fit.. just by eyeballing it

·
Registered
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
You could run a D16A6 trans, but the gearing is practically the same

Z6/A6

1 - 3.250/3.250
2 - 1.900/1.894
3 - 1.250/1.259

FD - 4.250/4.250

·
Registered
In circles.LOL
862 Posts
higher revs for 15 to 25 laps = kaboom.Unless Bottom end is built for it.It's not drag racing where you do one straight pull from 11-15 sec's (depending on build)You are doing two of those per lap at around 22-30 sec's per lap X 15 or 25 laps.
Gear,grip,and less recriprocating mass is the key.Hence the reason some tracks say stock fly wheel and steel wheels.You can switch gears in a honda.Woohoo.Can't in the domestics.Neons have a better 3rd than us but have to run the tires you are trying to run and can't play with it as much as you since you can't buy after market gears or swap gears from trans to trans.Reason i went honda.
Thank god for the people that think it was the honda that made them slow when they had one and went back to dodge or chevy.There lack of SEARCHING made it better for us.Less guys that know what hondas are capable off.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I would find a longer geared tranny and run in 2nd. As good as the Mfactory 3rd is, it might not actually get you where you need to be. In my experience you need to be at 7200 to be competitive.

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
what about to put a bigger diameter front wheels and big profile tires

and run some engine oil radiator to keep oil cool down

and try to go in second gear

what Is your average speed on 3rd gear on the track by the way?
and what is your maximum speed on second gear?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,107 Posts
5yr bump? good to see yall searching.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
ITs good to see searching, but to answer a 5yr old thread is a different story lol. Ive done it, but its still AAARRRRGGH lol

·
Registered
ej8
104 Posts
I don't know what the hell, but I definitely saw this thread in today new posts like I'm watching usually. I know now its look funny) especially when two guys comment me)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts