Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am going to start a new build. I haven't even bought a car yet. I have a few options. I am in NY with a strict emissions inspection. I'm from SC so not used to emissions.
I found a 95 4 door lx, a couple 98 ex with d17a2, a 98 4 door with a z6. The 4 door lx is lightest but the ex would give me a better starting platform. Which would be the most cost effective?
I'm not familiar with the d17a2, just the y8. I plan on vitara pistons and turbo. Now, the issue comes in with inspection on the obd2 cars. Not sure how I'd manage that. If i got the 95 I wouldn't have to worry about it, but again that would be more money to swap motor and trans. The 98 with the z6 seems to be the best option until you consider that it's an obd2 and I'd have to swith to obd1 to tune then can't get it inspected. I don't want to have to return everything to stock every year when inspection comes up. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Get an ODB0-OBD1 car, the 94 LX if you have to or hold out for a better 88-95 option. Dont know the exact rules for NY, but generally you can go to a newer drivetrain, but not an older drivetrain, so a Z6 in a 96+ car means no go.

96-2001 hondas are usually not tuneable and and remain emissions compliant, unless you swap everything out of a much newer car, IE K swap and Kpro or similar.

Right now I live in Texas, which does has emissions inspections, but they are not super anal. 25+ year old cars only require a visual inspection, so just about anything goes in a car that old here, might want to see if NY has anything along those lines.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
In Nashville on 95 and older cars they check for a cat with a mirror and tail pipe test the car and that's it. 96+ they run a obd2 scan and that's all for them.

Don't buy the d17 swapped car, bad motor.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Hard call.

obd2 doesnt leave much for tuning but it passes emission easier if they only do a code scan.

Obd1 cars have to run on the sniffer and i have always had problems passing. One year i pass way under the next yr i fail by a few point. Go back a few days later and it passes by alot.
All in there sniffer setup and weather.

The d17 motor is not a good start.
I dont care for it at all, and most people dont either. I havent search to far into them but there isnt much for upgrading them.

Also your asking about 2dr and 4dr.
You should first start with how the car will be use then move on to the body type you want and then work out the other details.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I haven't heard good things about the d17. I may just have to hold out for an obd1 car with a vtec motor. Or buy the 95 sedan. Which, even though it's 4 doors it's the lightest out of those I listed.
As far as 2 door vs 4, doesn't really matter. It's going to be a street legal drag car. Won't to too fast on the track because I need to be able to drive it on the street too. I'm looking for around 250-300 who for this build. Eg hatch would be ideal but around here those go for $1000 just for the shell. I am selling my truck for the money to start this project so I need to be able to drive it. With that in mind, the lx with d15 may not be bad because then I could just build a z6 on the side and do the swap in a weekend when it's done.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Who swaps a D17 into an older Civic? Did someone really make D17 swap mounts for the EF-EK chassis?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts