Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok guys i need some thoughts here. i have several choices of engine setups i can do now. so i got my pistons in the mail and everything looks kosher. they are SRP 8.5:1 compression pistons for a d16a6. after playing with the compression calculators for a while i found that if i ran them in a d16z6 they would come up with a 9.7:1 compression. that was my initial setup. well i was helping a local swap a ls into his crx and i saw the d16a6 laying in his garage. he gave me the motor and trans for helping him. now im not sure what i want to do. should i build a complete a6, or build a complete z6. compressions listed above. or with an a6 block and a z6 head, the compression will be around 9.3:1 and i would be able to use the vtec valve cover i just sent to be powder coated. i need to know which one you think i should build. i am leaning towards the A6/Z6 idea. is there any disadvantage to doing this mini-me?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
rofl, a6 with z6 head = z6. it would be the same as putting your a6 slugs in a z6 block.

its going to come down to whether you want vtec or not

oh and give me the trans :razz:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
a6 with z6= minime
a6 with ZC= a6
depends on the ZC...

z6 block with your SRP + z6 head = z6 with a6 slugs
a6 block with your SRP + z6 head = z6 with a6 slugs

the blocks are the same, the difference is the pistons and the head

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about piston to deck height??? isnt the A6 block taller. or am i lost. because in the compression calculator it says the A6 piston sits a little lower in the deck.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so is it the piston that sits lower in the hole? that would mean reguardless of A6 or Z6 block i would still have 9.3:1

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ok i see. so the pm6 stock pistons are 29.5 compression height. compared to the 30 on the p28s.

so the .5 mm is equal to the .02 inches that the piston sits in the whole. thanks alot guys. i will be using the A6/Z6 more than likely, as long as the cylinder walls look ok when i pull the head off. because the z6 block i have has rust all over the cylinders and i am afraid it may be pitting.

oh and the tranny will probably be going in the hf crx i am thinking about buying for a DD.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
ok i see. so the pm6 stock pistons are 29.5 compression height. compared to the 30 on the p28s.

so the .5 mm is equal to the .02 inches that the piston sits in the whole. thanks alot guys. i will be using the A6/Z6 more than likely, as long as the cylinder walls look ok when i pull the head off. because the z6 block i have has rust all over the cylinders and i am afraid it may be pitting.
:TU:

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am doing it for the crx i am supposed to be picking up for a DD. the only reason i do not want to use my z6 block on my boosted app is because i do not want to run a bored block with 30psi. so i am going to do a oversize and go with about 10.5:1 compression for my DD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts