Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
I did research all day today in my work and I could bnot find the part and when i Fund it it is very $$$$ ..So crome or Uberdata dont make nothing for OBD II ???

·
Registered
2000 civic 2 door ex
732 Posts
some of the links did not work. built hatch i know you know your sh*t. where can i buy a chipped ecu for an 00 ex. thanks or can someone take my ecu and chip it for me?

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
some of the links did not work. built hatch i know you know your sh*t. where can i buy a chipped ecu for an 00 ex. thanks or can someone take my ecu and chip it for me?
haha, thanks.

unfort, it's not practical to look for a chipped obd2 ecu. the best bet really is to either switch to an obd1 ecu if you need full tuning control, use a stand alone like a PowerFC, or if you 100% need to have the obd2 ecu in the car for some reason, then use a piggy back, like the emanage ultimate.

·
Registered
2000 civic 2 door ex
732 Posts
ill convert to obd1. run a p28 ecu instead. thanks

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread so i ask questions in here:

With a piggy back module, what kind of parameters are tuneable and what must be left alone. i got into a little tuning on 96-98 GM trucks, but in no way was i a pro. I just wanted to maximize the potential of the car without the hassle of conversion. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't want to start a new thread so i ask questions in here:

With a piggy back module, what kind of parameters are tuneable and what must be left alone. i got into a little tuning on 96-98 GM trucks, but in no way was i a pro. I just wanted to maximize the potential of the car without the hassle of conversion. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
conversion to obd1 is so easy tho!

at any rate, a piggyback like the emanage ultimate is actually pretty flexible. you can control most parameters, like fueling and timing, to a pretty high resolution, meaning at many points in terms of load and RPM. it's expensive, and the obd1 adjustment potential out there totally outclasses the flexibility you have with any piggyback. a piggyback is essentially just fooling sensors, whereas when you use a flash based setup or a burned chip in a obd1 ecu, you are in fact not fooling anything and are sending the message to the engine from the get go.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
no...crome is specificaly obdi...obdii uses different machine directions...its like a program written for a pc, it won't work on a mac...uberdata is obd0...and hondata...well i'm not sure about hondata, i'm not going to use them, so i've done no research on it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a step by step guide toward installing a racing MCU on 1996 to 2001 Honda OBD-II ECUs.

Figure 1 - Engine Computer

Figure 2 - Remove Top Cover

1. Open the top panel of the ECU. Figure 2 is a view of the ECU Components side. Look for the Stock MCU a 84 pins PLCC square chip with the marking Oki 66507. It is at the lower left corner away from the ECU Plug (top view). Quite easy to spot as the biggest chip in the ECU.

2. Desolder the stock MCU Figure 3 Use a niddle point soldering aid like CHIPQUIK touching the base of the pin. Do not overheat the Stock MCU, that will distroy it. Hold the solder pump close to the heated pin to pump up the solder. Be careful on the grounded pin or pin 1 as they are tougher to desolder.

Figure 3 - Solder side of the ECU

3. Removed the Stock MCU. Figure 4 show the stock MCU chip after being removed.The 84 pin PLCC IC socket is going to be soldered on the same spot where the stock MCU use to be.Figure 5 show the spot where stock MCU used to be after being desoldered.

Figure 4 - The removed Stock MCU

Figure 5 - The Stock MCU Location after desoldered

4. Install the 84 pin PLCC IC Socket. Figure 6 shows a 84 pin PLCC IC socket installed in the removed MCU position. Solder it in place and use multimeter to check any short on the pins. Figure 11 Clean up the soldered area with solvent like thinner or methenol to remove any residue near the pins.

Figure 6 - PLCC IC socket install in stock MCU position

Figure 7 - Newly reprogrammed MCU ready to be installed

Figure 8 - Install chip unto the IC socket

5. Insert the New Chip or the old stock MCU in the socket. Figure 8 showing the Racing MCU is being installed unto the IC socket. After that, just reinstall the ECU top and bottom covers.

6. Plug the ECU back on the car, reconnect back the battery positive terminal and start the car to check whether the car is runing fine.If you don't any check light and able to rev pass 4000rpm, you have just successfully chip your ECU.

7. Celebrate your success.

Thanks to Autoserve for the info.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.