Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Why is there no C51/C52 capacitors, ZIF socket, or FUNCTIONAL J1 jumper?

Edit: I'm assuming these kits are ebay, i'm not here to bash, to each their own. GLWS.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is there no C51/C52 capacitors, ZIF socket, or FUNCTIONAL J1 jumper?
Edit: I'm assuming these kits are ebay, i'm not here to bash, to each their own. GLWS.
First of all, these "kits" aren't ebay. I've been purchasing my components in bulk from electronics suppliers like Digikey, Mouser, etc. for many years now. I'm a professional electrical engineer and I work for an electronics company that designs and manufactures communications equipment. I select components because of their function and specifications not because I recently did some reading on PGMFI.org or read an article in the tech center at Xenocron.com that spelled out what parts to use and now I think I'm a master of ECU chipping. ECUs are a hobby of mine but I still take it serious and do professional work so please don't criticize it.

Second, clearly you ARE here to bash since you're nit-picking a bunch of meaningless details about my ECUs and you have a similar ECU for sale on this site that you're trying to pump up by criticizing and degrading mine with my so-called "ebay kits". They function perfectly and I've had many satisfied customers since 2003. This includes people who have not only purchased ECUs from me but also had them tuned by me.

For the greater good of the D-series community, I'll address your questions so everyone who reads will have the correct information.

• C51/C52 Capacitors are NOT necessary for chipping. A common practice in circuit board design/manufacturing is to account for potentially encountered EMI/RFI by adding capacitors for filtering. This is the same case for the Honda ECU. The designers simply added spots for filtering capacitors when the external ROM is added to the ECU. They're also known as decoupling capacitors.

Let me say that I've been working with ECUs since 2003 and I have chipped tons of ECUs with and without the C51/C52 capacitors and I haven't noticed any differences or negative effects between the two configurations. It won't affect the tune or the running conditions of the vehicle. I'll say again, C51/C52 capacitors are NOT necessary for chipping. The only time I've used them in recent years is with the Hondata S300 systems because S300's are in fact susceptible to EMI from the vehicle's ignition system.
  • A ZIF socket is nothing more than a trend that was started back before ROM emulators were readily available/more popular. Instead of all the handy real time programming/eprom emulator capabilities that we have today, guys would install and remove chips multiple times to burn, erase, reburn, etc. until they got their tune right. A ZIF socket was a logical choice for this type of tuning because it put less stress on the pins of the chip during multiple installs/removals.
    Nowadays, you plug in your Ostrich and tune til you get it right, then burn a chip and there you go. You've plugged in, removed, and plugged in.

Or just permanently install a Demon, S300, etc. and don't deal with chips anymore.

At any rate, a ZIF socket is not a necessary component. Handy? Yes. Necessary? No.
  • And finally, a "FUNCTIONAL" J1 jumper?

Once again, I'm guessing you got your "functional" jumper idea from the writeup on PGMFI.org since the article put special emphasis on using a removable jumper.

Putting a removable jumper on J1 only allows you revert the ECU back to its stock settings which is kind of pointless since nowadays most people who are running a chipped ECU couldn't put revert it back to stock programming because they have more modifications than a stock ECU could support.

In the case of the ECUs I have for sale it would revert them back to NON-Vtec ECUs which would void out the whole VTEC Conversion that has been performed which would be pointless.

The only thing it could be good for troubleshooting a bad chipping job. If a person's chipping is that bad they shouldn't be doing ECU work for other people.

I've been using a zero ohm jumper for J1 since 2005 and it seems to "function" very well. My ECUs have worked without a problem every time. Apparently the people that manufactured the ECU for Honda thought that a zero ohm jumper was pretty functional since most places on the ECU marked with "J" then a number have a zero ohm jumper in them unless they aren't applicable for the particular hardware configuration (i.e. VTEC, Non-VTEC, Auto, etc.).

A removable jumper is NOT necessary for a proper chipping job.
Hopefully this cleared up any confusion anybody may have had about the quality of the ECUs I have for sale or the work I do on ECUs in general.

Thanks

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Dude I never said your work was garbage, I just wanted to know a few things about your ECU's. I don't have to bash your shit to "pump" mine up. PLENTY of members on here know i don't fuck around and do quality work so there is no need for me to critisize yours.

I PERSONALLY THINK every chipped ECU's should have C51/C52 JUST IN CASE. AS A FUCKING PRECAUTION.

Zif sockets SHOULD be a necessity. Dip sockets are a bitch to pull a pin out of over and over.

I didn't read about a removable jumper on PGMFI.org. Actually, i didn't know that site existed up until a few weeks ago. I think it's a handy tool for being able to run stock/chipped whenever you want.

Again I was asking some QUESTIONS. Clearly you took offense, like i originally said, Good luck with your sale.

Edit: The reason i referred to ebay is because EVERY chipping component i can visually see comes in the Ebay kit. Once again, sorry to offend you.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude I never said your work was garbage, I just wanted to know a few things about your ECU's. I don't have to bash your shit to "pump" mine up. PLENTY of members on here know i don't fuck around and do quality work so there is no need for me to critisize yours.

I PERSONALLY THINK every chipped ECU's should have C51/C52 JUST IN CASE. AS A FUCKING PRECAUTION.

Zif sockets SHOULD be a necessity. Dip sockets are a bitch to pull a pin out of over and over.

I didn't read about a removable jumper on PGMFI.org. Actually, i didn't know that site existed up until a few weeks ago. I think it's a handy tool for being able to run stock/chipped whenever you want.

Again I was asking some QUESTIONS. Clearly you took offense, like i originally said, Good luck with your sale.

Edit: The reason i referred to ebay is because EVERY chipping component i can visually see comes in the Ebay kit. Once again, sorry to offend you.
Ok, that's your opinion/preference and that's fine but it's not necessary and doesn't affect the overall function of an ECU.

Your "questions" inferred that these ECUs were missing something as if to say I was trying to scam someone by leaving out parts necessary for these to function. So you can't blame me for taking offense to this.

Furthermore, I've never seen an ebay kit in person so I wouldn't know what parts come in them. So please don't compare my stuff to some ebay junk.

And now everyone understands each other.

Someone buy these ECUs

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Ok, that's your opinion/preference and that's fine but it's not necessary and doesn't affect the overall function of an ECU.

Your "questions" inferred that these ECUs were missing something as if to say I was trying to scam someone by leaving out parts necessary for these to function. So you can't blame me for taking offense to this.

Furthermore, I've never seen an ebay kit in person so I wouldn't know what parts come in them. So please don't compare my stuff to some ebay junk.

And now everyone understands each other.

Someone buy these ECUs
Common misunderstanding, no harm, no foul. Glad we could straighten this out :TU:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts