Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i've had this discussion from another thread...but i wanted to hear things from more than just one person (no offese to that one person). This is what my setup will be...

d15b7
a6 cam/y8 gear

2.25 or 2.5 exhaust...w/dynomax super turbo muffler

question...since my ecu is going to be chipped by 5speed4life, i was wondering if a basemap (untuned) would be better off than an fmu. I was thinking of running 6 psi...or whatever it would take to get between 140-160 whp on my b7 (nothing higher...don't want it to break).

I heard an fmu would be cheaper/easier...and ok for low boost settings...

if i went with a chipped ecu...about how much money am i looking to spend to get it tuned?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
the base map may get you around, but I wouldn't get on it 'til it was tuned. Check around for tuning prices, I've seen them range from $75-$150 per hour and up to $600 per session. The Fmu would be ok for low boost, but you're going to be better off with the chipped ecu. 6 psi will be fun for awhile, but you're gonna want to turn up the boost, trust me ;)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well 6psi will be fun for a while...but it's going to be like that for a while right? i mean...it's a b7 - aren't the limits with stock internals ranging somewhere around 160-170 whp? if turning up the boost...snaps my motor for only another 10-20 whp...it's not worth it...

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
true but with a chipped ecu that has been properly tuned would be better in many ways.

I would NOT drive around on a basemap for a long time .,

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
vtecduck said:
the base map may get you around, but I wouldn't get on it 'til it was tuned. Check around for tuning prices, I've seen them range from $75-$150 per hour and up to $600 per session. The Fmu would be ok for low boost, but you're going to be better off with the chipped ecu. 6 psi will be fun for awhile, but you're gonna want to turn up the boost, trust me ;)
x2

·
Registered
163 Posts
well you could tune it yourself for free, well not really...
you would tune it for free after you get some chips, and a chip burner, and i guess you could tune with your ear and stock o2 sensor if you're really good, or splurge 200 bucks on a wideband and be set for the rest of your tuning life

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jimmyb34 said:
if you get a wideband 5speed4life will come to you and tune the car.....
not if i live in so-cal...anyone have any people they know that would be willing to tune my car around so-cal.......around LA/orange counties? ...or should i just get dyno time at rage racing...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts