Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to get some pictures. This being my first build (aside from r/c nitro powered motors lol), I'm not quite sure what to look for. Crosshatches are visible for the most part, but about halfway down in the cylinder there are little scuff marks. You can't feel them, just curious as to what you guys think. The pistons have since been removed and there is no scuffing or blemishes on the piston skirts that I could see.

Here you can see it in cylinder 3 (to the left) and slightly in cylinder 2.

You can see it again in the far right cylinder

I guess my question is, is that normal and what causes it. Thanks fella's!

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
eh, you can still see the cross hatches so a slight hone may be needed. Just as stated feel for a ridge at the top of the cylinder with your finger nail, if you feel a "step up" then use a ridge reamer so you wont break your new pistons.....oh yeah, BURN OIL MUCH? LOLOL

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.....oh yeah, BURN OIL MUCH? LOLOL
Yeah, I was wondering about that...is that a normal amount of buildup on the piston tops? It didn't smoke or anything before I pulled it...but I do not know how the guy maintained his motor either.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
i take it you bought this motor from someone? It looks like its been burning oil for a long time to build up like that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably about 100,000 miles...but like i said, I do not know the maintenance history...the rings didn't look bad and were gapped ok...what about those 'scuffs' on the cylinder walls, any idea's on those? Related to the oil burning?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
i say get it .020 over to be safe, and have a tighter piston to wall clearance... those scuff marks on the sides, are prolly from worn out rings.... was it ever boosted??? shit looks just like my old set-up with a fmu, after i pulled it apart

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it look that bad? I mean, I know what a new bore and hone looks like, but for 100,000 miles are the cylinders that bad?

·
Registered
EK 96
422 Posts
Thake it to the machine shop and get it check and thet go with what you have.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Bore it to 80mm , have custom pistons made , call it a day
since it has been proven you can't bored a stock block 5mm without cracking the sleeves, please STFU.

OP, I suggest you talk with Rob @ TPR on Symmes about him sending it to Bischoff for the boring.

BES, you know the guys that have been first or second in the Enginemasters buildoffs for the past 5 years :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks transzex, I gave'em a call today for a quote...now the money really starts goin' out the window...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To torque plate or not to torque plate...that is the question. It adds a 100 bucks to the bore and hone...100 bucks here and there and it adds up verrrrry quickly. I'll have to look into it more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts