Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my d16y8 check engine light is on and i don't know why....i have heard that the obd2 runs with two o2 senors but i am running an obd1 p28 ecu so it souldn't matter...everythang else of the motor looks fine...WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?????

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea it back fires at high rpm and blows out light blue smoke and idk what you mean by what code....but when i start up the car some times it chokes and dies....

·
Registered
same as above
861 Posts
go to a parts store and have them put the scanner on it, its free

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
yea it back fires at high rpm and blows out light blue smoke and idk what you mean by what code....but when i start up the car some times it chokes and dies....
okay, so is the p28 in your car chipped? Because a p28 is an obd1 ecu, and the d16y8 engine you have is an obd2 engine... The reason I asked if it backfired or not is because I suspect that the p28 cannot find the crank position sensor, which is in the dizzy with a d16z6 obd1 engine. On the y8, the crank position sensor is on the oilpump. So unless the p28 ecu you have has been chipped and told to look for the ob2 cps, or unless you have swapped the guts from a z6 dizzy into the y8 dizzy, you're ecu doesn't know how to time your engine....
the blue smoke blowing out of your exhuast tells me you have oil getting by your piston rings...could be worn rings. I would do a compression check of all four cylinders...If you don't know what that is, google it :)

·
Registered
91 crx
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
na the p28 an't chipped out but yea i guess i gonna check it out and see what i can do after some research on google....and yea ill prob. take it to one of my buddies shop and have the compression check out....thanks alot highly aprecciated....

okay, so is the p28 in your car chipped? Because a p28 is an obd1 ecu, and the d16y8 engine you have is an obd2 engine... The reason I asked if it backfired or not is because I suspect that the p28 cannot find the crank position sensor, which is in the dizzy with a d16z6 obd1 engine. On the y8, the crank position sensor is on the oilpump. So unless the p28 ecu you have has been chipped and told to look for the ob2 cps, or unless you have swapped the guts from a z6 dizzy into the y8 dizzy, you're ecu doesn't know how to time your engine....
the blue smoke blowing out of your exhuast tells me you have oil getting by your piston rings...could be worn rings. I would do a compression check of all four cylinders...If you don't know what that is, google it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts