Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canihazmoniez
683 Posts
Sleeve installation isn't something I would cheap out on. If those sleeves drop from not being put in perfectly than your crank is going to turn into a blender and eat your sleeves causing more problems for you than not paying an extra hundered to have it done right by a shop that frequently sleeves blocks

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
I just got mine back from InlinePro in Virginia. Give them a call and talk to Tom or Jeremy. (703) 455-5805 or email them at [email protected] They might be able to help you out, and please tell them that Donald sent you. They hooked me up, so I want them to know that I am talking about them.

You will have to call them back even tho they say they will call you back. They're supper busy. But they guarantee'd me a 2 week turn around. They hooked me up. You have to email them to see if they can get you a better deal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would have to say Golden Eagle! But that is just cuz there sleeves are awesome and everyone there is great from my experiences

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Can't say it enough! DO NOT go cheap on machine work! I did with my first build, and regret it! My bores were tapered about .002. and my deck had a low spot around the oil drain port. Cost me around $2000 After you figure in new machine work, head gaskets, and parts for a new rebuild. The last machine shop will take no responsibility for problems. They say there is too many variables, to say that they are at fault. That is where they get you. It's hard to prove that they were the problem after the engine has been assembled and run.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Anyone know the cheapest place to have sleeves installed if i already have the block and sleeves?
Spend the $1000-1200 to have it done right the first time. Make sure to spend them the pistons so they can bore the sleeves properly....or have your local shop do the boring to match the slugs.

The short block is one place NOT to be a brokedick!

·
Registered
57 Posts
About machine shops, dont believe shyt they tell you. I had this guy here in Jacksonville, Dover Cylinder Heads Machine shop, they guy is a douche.

Took my block to get it balanced, cleaned, built, etc, I show up one day to make a payment and on the way ask to see how much progress has been done. Next thing I know the block is in another shop...

I ask, Where is the other shop?

some douchebag built it, he closed the shop because of the economy... Full of it, turns out the block was never balanced, pure BS...

In other words dont trust what the machine shop says, ask for numbers, before and after and if possible take the block to another shop.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
well if they are darton mid's darton RECOMMENDS that you let them install it.. my brother called them and its like a week turn around and some other crazyness they charge 800 if im not mistaken thats with shipping im not sure and hell theyll even build it for an extra 4-500 if you gots all the stuff and they take care of everything else

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Can't say it enough! DO NOT go cheap on machine work! I did with my first build, and regret it! My bores were tapered about .002. and my deck had a low spot around the oil drain port. Cost me around $2000 After you figure in new machine work, head gaskets, and parts for a new rebuild. The last machine shop will take no responsibility for problems. They say there is too many variables, to say that they are at fault. That is where they get you. It's hard to prove that they were the problem after the engine has been assembled and run.
same shit happened to me >_< machine shop fucked my build all up...

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
There's a local shop here (Frankfort IL) that will do it for 500-600. My motor is there right now; it is not getting a sleeve-job though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unless I see the work with my own eyes, honestly almost all of them do shitty job.

I still dont know who built my block, besides talking to him over the phone.

Just my two cents about BS work:

- Balancing

- micro polishing

and to make it worst, mark your block so who knows if it is swapped...

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Golden Eagle does the best work and has the best sleeves from the research ive done.

i hate their rep (robert... that little fuck) so i hate sending them business. but if i was ever getting a block sleeved id have them do it. id just send it under a different name so they wouldnt know its my block. LOL

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sleeve work is something that should never be in the same sentence as "cheap". Invest in a service and place that has experience with sleeving. Some machine shops are capable of doing sleeving but if they dont do it on a daily basis, they dont experience all the issues of block sleeving. A place that goes through all that day in and day out can notice issues when others can easily bypass it.

So pick a place that is experienced, and be prepared to pay the price. A good sleeved block that is straight ready out of the shop with no other machining required is going to be about 1000-1400 depending on the type of Honda block.

Different places have their own process too. I know of certain machine shops that require your block to be line honed after since the way they press in the sleeves distorts the mains. If you dont mind this, then good for you. I personally dont so I choose the process that doesnt need machining on the mains after a sleeving process. Line honing is a hidden cost that you may not expect after going with a place that maybe cheaper than others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts