Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey got a question been looking at a turbo set up anyone know anything about the cxracing turbos? here is the website CXRacing
i dunno if its worth it so im asking for help...also if you dont think this is worth the money what would be?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I have one of there turbos but have yet to install it. I am still finishing up my build. Sorry i cant be more help. But yea some will tell you to save the $150 and get a better turbo. others will say run it and if you have any problems buy another one.

The only think i can say for sure is use an oil resistor or your blow out the seals.

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay so just running a tap to the oil pan is too much oil? i want to run this on till i can completely build the motor but i dont want the wheel the break and have shit pieces of metal in my motor! lol

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
okay so just running a tap to the oil pan is too much oil? i want to run this on till i can completely build the motor but i dont want the wheel the break and have shit pieces of metal in my motor! lol
Yea honda out put 50-60psi of oil. and i bet these turbo cant handle anything more then like 15-20psi. So if you just run an oil line off the back of the block it will be to much pressure.
If the turbo messes up you shouldnt get metal pieces in your motor. Maybe in the intercooler piping or intercooler.

but seeing as you dont have a log of post please be sure you read the sticky to better understand how turbos work and what all is needed to turbo a honda

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
The "tap" on the oil pan is your drain, that has nothing to do with the oil getting to your turbo.

You get a sandwich plate inbetween the oil filter and the block and run an oil feed line to the turbo (3an is a good size). Where you put the feed line on the turbo you put an oil restrictor between it so it changes your oil pressure that is actually going into the turbo. Too much pressure can blow out seals, and not enough pressure can cause bearing failure. Search around on here and read the threads that talk about helping the life of your "ebay" (cheap) turbo. I read around for about a week before I ordered anything and when I felt like I had a good understaning of restrictors and turbos i finally ordered (ebay turbo, .065 restrictor).

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay i saw that sandwich adapter lastnight and i figured thats what it was for lol sorry if i seem new at this shit i have never really played with hondas or turbochargers before lol i was into dsm big time before but sold my avenger to get my hatch i know the basics of a turbo ( manifold, turbocharger-somewhat, bov, fmic, etc) but the actual install and making it work properly. i just need some help working out the fine details of everything. i do have one more question... fuel management... can i use a fmu to regulate the fuel or should i go ahead and get a piggy-back system?

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
my ebay turbo's along with all my buddies use a -3an line and no restrictor, seeing 80psi + sometimes, we have really good luck but for somereason others dont. i think it depends on how old it is (newer version hold up better?).

but anyways, run your typical .050 restrictor if you would like, whatever works for you.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i think most ebay turbos fail from fail installers. people who dont know what they are doing, its their first turbo, first turbo install, first everything, and fuck something up. then they blame it on the turbo since they read about other failures failing in the same way.

imho they work fine but even then they arent worth the money when a BEP that can make 480whp is only $550.

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah sounds like a plan! as soon as i get outta debt! lol im thinking maybe i can buy it and buy the rebuild kit for a better turbo that the seals and shit will work in the cheap one maybe itll be a wee-bit better lol idk i guess it will be trial and error!

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
i think most ebay turbos fail from fail installers. people who dont know what they are doing, its their first turbo, first turbo install, first everything, and fuck something up. then they blame it on the turbo since they read about other failures failing in the same way.

imho they work fine but even then they arent worth the money when a BEP that can make 480whp is only $550.
This, user fault most of the time. You notice on here, people that have actually been around the turbo block one or twice have really good luck with the ebay stuff?

I see what you're saying Danz, spend the money once and have something that lasts, BUT, 1 BEP= $550, 5 Ebay "50" trims=$550, just saying LOL. For the man on the budget, i'd say Ebay is alright as long as you at least TRY to take precautionary measures.

but anyways, run your typical .050 restrictor if you would like, whatever works for you.
I'd say just from reading around that a .050 is a bit too big for something like an ebay "50"-"57" trim. But, to each his own, I chose to go with a .065.

·
Registered
1990 civic crx
537 Posts
about ur tuning shit stuff i dnt think ur fmu is gunna do it and piggy back mayb but most of us around here swapped to obd1 and chip the ecus do some research read like a mofo ull leran alot from all of us including myself who is still learning daily from this great website and all the ppl on it

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
BEP? is that a brand?
Bullseye Performance.

Like said about your tuning stuff, do not run an FMU. Run a chipped ECU and get a tune. If you have any ECU Chippage questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1990 civic crx
537 Posts
Bullseye Performance.

Like said about your tuning stuff, do not run an FMU. Run a chipped ECU and get a tune. If you have any ECU Chippage questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
ill rep this guy he does a great job for the guys around here

·
Registered
90 civic si
1,536 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Ching Chong Meow turbos, same as any t3/t4 on eBay.

I am actually currently running an Emusa t3/t4(Chinese knockoff) and it hasn't caused me any issues. The only reason I bought it is because I was having some high boost flutter and trying to eliminate parts to source the problem. Turns out it was my old Garrett turbo, when over 16psi boost became erratic.

I won't run it forever, in fact my goal/plan is changing soon and another turbo should be here this week to replace it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts