Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about building a turbo motor for my EF. I have a Y8 Block and head. If I make 200whp Ill be happy. Im going to use Vitara pistons but I dont know what rods to use. What would be a good choice to use? This is going to be a budget build so the cheaper the better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
for 200 hp. keep your motor stock and save the cash for other stuff. my y8 is on stock rods and pistons and makeing 240 whp with no problems. for vitaras and rods your looking to spend a lot of money and are not necesary for your goals. just take the money and PlEASE spend it on a good tune!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If your a worried have the rod bolts replaced with arp's for peace of mind. And arp head bolts will tighten up the top end as well.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ARP rod bolts then have the rods re-sized by a machine shop. thats a must imo.
ARP headstuds. that will get you where you are going.

remember its all in the tune, so get a good one

what kind of budget are you working with exactly and do you have the turbo kit already?
cuz maybe you can get a little further than you think. exact #'s help when asking for build advice...especially amongst the turbo fellas

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If your a worried have the rod bolts replaced with arp's for peace of mind. And arp head bolts will tighten up the top end as well.
X2 like he says, First of all check to see if your engine is healthy enough, ARP rod bolts and head studs, A VERY GOOD TUNER, and used the money on a good good turbo, a good intercooler to keep the air cool cool and probably some bigger injectors (don't think you need them for your hp goal but just in case you want a bit more) and did I mention to get the car TUNE!!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

what kind of budget are you working with exactly and do you have the turbo kit already?
cuz maybe you can get a little further than you think. exact #'s help when asking for build advice...especially amongst the turbo fellas
Question.. Why do the rods need resizing after the bolts are installed? I keep hearing this but never fully understood it. Does it change their shape? I can only think so from the new studs being pressed in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If your really worried, you could always shot peen the rods.
I've also heard that you can use b18b (i think) rods and they'll take give or take 300hp.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
you resize the rod because the new ARP bolts torque much harder and are larger so the large end of the rod can actually be pulled out of round if its not properly machined afterward.

that can cause bearing failure. its relatively cheap to have done
contact weebeastie on here, he'll help you out

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Get a set of cheap LS rods for insurance. A little bit of machining and they can hold 300 whp no problem.
i agree. youll have some machine work in either set of rods so you might as well get a set of LS rods, have them bushed, install ARP rod bolts and resized.

that would be the best form of insurance and you could push them a little more if you find you want more power. which you will want later :bigok:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

My budget once I sell my scooter will be about a grand or more.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
however on the resizing you can install the arp's without having to do it. it's a gamble though.

if it was me hit up flea bay on even the classifeds, sometimes you can find killer deals for new stuff

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you're on a budget like that just run the stock motor. If your compression is good across the board get a set of bigger injectors and a GOOD TUNE like everyone is saying and it will last forever with no problems.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The stocker should be good up to that amount. If he wants more power or if it's really old then ya I would replace it with a bigger pump.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts