Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted up a few post about boosting but i just wanna be clear about this post.
I dont wanna go dramtically fast with this set up, im just wanna go with something simple and fun to drive and a little boost and not trying to get the blocked rebuild, port polished head (i dont want serious power). So im gonna go with my thoughts and maybe give me some pointers?

Budget:2k
Power:180-280
Reliability: Hell yeah, at least..

Complete ebay turbo kit
225 walbro Fuel Pump
450cc injectors
2mm Cometic Head gasket
oil Filter Sandwich Adapter
p28 ecu (not sure what kinda tuned yet, chrome?)
AEM wideband
AEM Boost gauge
Cometic 2mm head gasket + ARP Headstuds
Stock Clutch?

pretty much everything else is stock, so yay or nah?

yes i know i am a noob at this, and i tried looking up forums but its just not what i am looking for. I just want something fun and reliable and probably not so cheap? Not trying to get that much horse out of it as i gotta tear down the whole engine, just want something fun and reliable to drive, Thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
junkyard turbo kit dude cheap and easy

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
The minimum you will spend on a turbo setup, even the junkyard route will be 3 or 4 grand when all is said and done.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The minimum you will spend on a turbo setup, even the junkyard route will be 3 or 4 grand when all is said and done.
i got a lot less then that into mine and im almost done. watch the classifieds for good used parts and take a trip to your local pick and pull. ive only spent 400-500 to collet my kit so far. dsm 450cc blue tops, jdm sport front mount inter cooler, ct26 turbo, unknown brand waste gate, 1st gen metal dsm bov, a spare po6 ecu to chip. all thats left for me is inter cooler piping and a manifold/dp. what im saying is for next to nothing you can build a decent setup if you watch for deals and dont rush it. dont bother with the ebay kit, its more headache then its worth and will likly end up costing you more money in the long run then just buying some half decent used parts. also to get past the 200 mark you should really start looking into ls rods or some used forged, mabye even some vitaras.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you're gonna go with an ebay kit at least do something about the charge piping not being bead rolled and use t-bolt clamps. 180hp will be more than fun and will be almost as reliable as stock..........depending on the condition of your block. GL and post pics!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
i got a lot less then that into mine and im almost done. watch the classifieds for good used parts and take a trip to your local pick and pull. ive only spent 400-500 to collet my kit so far. dsm 450cc blue tops, jdm sport front mount inter cooler, ct26 turbo, unknown brand waste gate, 1st gen metal dsm bov, a spare po6 ecu to chip. all thats left for me is inter cooler piping and a manifold/dp. what im saying is for next to nothing you can build a decent setup if you watch for deals and dont rush it. dont bother with the ebay kit, its more headache then its worth and will likly end up costing you more money in the long run then just buying some half decent used parts. also to get past the 200 mark you should really start looking into ls rods or some used forged, mabye even some vitaras.
OE Water Pump
OE Oil Pump
Head Gasket
ARP Head studs
Oil Filter
4 qts oil
gal of coolant
turbo
drain/feed lines and fittings
tapped oil pan
copper rtv or gasket
downpipe
wastegate
wastegate gasket
dump tube
turbo manifold
charge piping and couplers
fmic
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge and sending unit
Wideband and o2 sensor
chipped ECU
tune
fuel pump
injectors
catch can setup, lines, fittnings, etc.
tapped valve cover
valve cover gasket

The little things add up.. this is far from a complete list too

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
On my stock motor build I didn't replace the water pump, oil pump, head gasket, head bolts, and I didn't use a catch can. That's easily $300-400 worth of stuff that could be avoided. Now I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to replace all that, more power to you if you do!

·
Registered
977 Posts
So far in my junkyard turbo kit I have the turbo blue top dsm Injectors blow off valve and waste gate for $50 got my exhaust manifold off of a friend for free my ecu to be chipped and tune will be like $10 its nice to have friends intercooler will be picked up at the junkyard for $30 this weekend my half core radiator with fan was traded for a old dizzy so all I will have left is intercooler pipes and a fuel pump and so far I have spent less than $100 I want to come in under $300 for everything oil lines will be cheap they can be made at work at cost to me so yeah you can do it under $500 it just takes time know how and friends

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
450 Posts
d serious is right, it all adds up. if you do it to a healthy stock engine you can make 180 no prob for next to nothing. if you want 220+ then all the things he said are truely worth the money and can make a very reliable engine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
3-4 grand? Not sure where you're buying your stuff at but sounds like you're over paying big time for a turbo build. OP your goals are reasonable for well under $1,000

·
Registered
68 Posts
that's not bad. Just make sure you look around fully before you start buying, there's always steals everywhere.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure how reliable the ebay kit will be for ya. Seems like it has been hit or miss with those things.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Theres Plenty of peoPle who have put turbo kits together for well under $1500 and under $1000 even. Hell my local performance shop sells complete kits that include labor and everything for under $2000 and under $1500 depending on what brand and what size turbo you want. Oh and that also includes tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Agreed. Especially if you started with nothing like me. I've probably spent a thousand on just tools, a jack, jack stands etc.
Theres Plenty of peoPle who have put turbo kits together for well under $1500 and under $1000 even. Hell my local performance shop sells complete kits that include labor and everything for under $2000 and under $1500 depending on what brand and what size turbo you want. Oh and that also includes tuning.
Not trying to russle anyone's jimmies, but the cost of doing it, vs. the cost of doing it right are two different things.

Feel free to put prices next to the items I have listed above, even second-hate, wholesale, etc. prices; I bet you can't get it under $1500.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
used greddy 15g kit $400 (includes, manifold, elbow, drain, feed, turbo)
15g DP $25
DIY catchcan $35
d17 VC $free
used intercooler $20

already own eCtune, electrical oil pressure gauge.

Need: charge pipes, couplers, HG, wb02, injectors, tapped oil pan (maybe fuel pump/arp headstuds). And that's ~ another $300-400. ($500+ more including pump and headstuds)

So far I have ~$480 in parts I own. I spend another $300-400 and I have a complete kit with legitimite parts. If I wanna do timing belt, water pump thats another 80-100 for the gates kit.

I have been collecting parts for the past 3 years, only buying what I can afford and looking for killer deals. That's the only way to be boosted for under a grand. Patience and ALWAYS looking for the deals.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
^ Like this, I have seen some dudes get an Si header and adapter plate and bolt on a turbo and the accessories, and spend under $1500, but two runs in, and pow, bye bye motor. Take your time and you will save in the end, and I dont mean just monies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts