Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quick solution for a cheap effective pedal cover. All you need is a can of rustolium under coating, and a little sand paper and a newspaper.

Lightly sand the bare metal to get any old glue off .
Lay down some news paper to keep it from getting on the carpet.
And spray away until you feel it's good. Let dry for and hour, and you have a nice cheap pedal cover, that's easy to remove if you want to get a real one.

Did this on a hyundai, but it's all going to be the same.
The udercoating

I don't have any before pictures but this is after.
Still drying

Reactions: hotrodj

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,680 Posts
not a bad idea...

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
I would think in the hot sun with windows up it would not only stink but could it also get sticky? Have you ever experienced that OP?

Tweak.. Great idea there.!!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Hmm, I wonder how well that actually works.

I have always used griptape for skateboards.

I've used griptape before too, worked like a charm. And it was CHEAP!

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
I use grip tape on my dragster pedals, foot NEVER slips off :bigok:. Plus you can get it for free some times. Just go to skate shops and ask if you can have some left overs from putting grip tape on decks. They usually dont mind giving you some

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think in the hot sun with windows up it would not only stink but could it also get sticky? Have you ever experienced that OP?

Tweak.. Great idea there.!!
It does smell a little at first, like anything that you'll spray into a car but it doesn't get really sticky. Normally the pedals are a little shaded from the sun. I've been using it for about a week now, and it holds up fine. Normal undercoating goes through hell just being under the car. This stuff is made to be abused. :bigok:

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Cool, I was just wondering about it because i know if I put parts or something Ive recently painted in my car during the day. i pull it back out and the paint has gotten sticky. good to know you haven't experienced this.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
I was inspired to do mine with the tape after driving with wet shoes and getting tired of my foot sliding up the clutch pedal when holding it depressed.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I've done grip tape as well, worked fine but doesn't last very long.

I ended up spending the $6 for a new pedal cover. Much better option IMHO

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
FYI to the grip tape users

As some may knwo from actually being a skateboarder, griptape brands can matter, some lower quality brands will deteriorate quickly while the BlackMagic tape I installed on my pedals many years ago is only now starting to show signs of wear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was inspired to do mine with the tape after driving with wet shoes and getting tired of my foot sliding up the clutch pedal when holding it depressed.
Same reason I did my diy here. It gets old real fast.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Ive used the little stick on non-slip sticker for showers too lol

Good idea with the undercoating tho! Nice

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Add a handful of sand to that undercoating before it dries and you have yourself a great nonslip pedal cover...

·
Registered
908 Posts
I actually found a set of cheap APC pedals at the junkyard almost 2 years ago. I put the grip tape ON TOP of those pedals (I didn't like how much of a small area they were). Even in the ice/snow of Cincinnati, they grip like a champ. I would recommend grip tape to ANYONE

·
Registered
del sol
49 Posts
griptape is definately an easy and cheap way to go. the only time it sucks is if your doing spirited driving while barefoot. but. spirited driving+barefoot=never a good idea anyway

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
My buddy has that old school Jessup brand, glow in the dark grip tape. Kinda cool.

But Ive never had an issue with my foot slipping off of the pedal, so I dont bother.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts