Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! New to the forums because Ive searched all over d-series.org and cant find anything. My situation is very specific.
Recently bought a 99 Ek Coupe with a D16Y8 in it. When I purchased the car it had the motor half taken out of it. Half of the motor mounts were off, harness was disconnected. The previous owner, lets call him Tim, had told me that he had sold it to some kid who swapped it from an auto to a manual and then it got impounded and Tim received the car back after it was impounded. I purchased the car knowing it was going to be a lot of work to put together. I got the motor mounts back in and reconnected the harness so it would be a running car. Well i fired it up and it was idling funky. Through further research I found that the kid who tranny swapped it did not do the IACV fix. So luckily i had a Intake Manifold from a 2000 D16Y8 with a known working IACV. I repinned the harness and changed the 3 wire plug to a 2 wire plug. Fired it up, no change in the idle. Chased a vacuum leak for a while and it turns out the Cylinder Head on this 99 Civic was from a 96 Civic so it had no Air Injection like the 99-00. Well drilled and tapped the intake manifold to plug up the Air injection holes. Turned it on, no change. Went and got the codes checked on it and I had misfires in all 4 cylinders. Long story short there was no belt tensioner on the timing belt and it had jumped a tooth. Re did timing belt and fired it up and it idled like a dream. Got the codes checked one more time. I had a code for secondary 02 sensor and knock sensor. No big deal I ordered a new 02 sensor and had a working knock sensor on a spare D16Y8. Put them in, 02 sensor code went away but knock sensor code was there. But the car was running great. Over the past few days the car is bucking at COMPLETE RANDOM times. Every once in a while ill start it up and itll run great. And then ill go to the store or whatever, come back out and start it up and it acts funky. My normal idle is around 800 and when its acting weird itll idle up to 1300 and bounce like its on a rev limiter. If I drive it when its doing that, thats when it starts bucking. Codes now say IACV and Knock Sensor. Okay whatever. Im on my third knock sensor and the code wont go away. I check if its the IACV by having the motor on while I unplug and plug it back in to see if it makes a difference. When its plugged in itll idle at 1300 and bounce like i said. When i unplug it, it idles at around 800 normal idle but if i give it gas it bounces at 1300 just like it did when it was plugged in. Again this is not how it is at every start up or every time i drive it is completely random. At colder temps if I turn on the car with the IACV unplugged it almost dies. Im completely dumbfounded and have been dealing with this for months. Not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts