Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 EJ1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JDM d16 sohc zc VTEC motor and whenever I push it to redline, the charging system light flickers on from 6000-6500 and then stays on solid to redline. Performance is not affected whatsoever. I have been overall my grounds and added a couple, checked them for resistance and continuity. I am also on my second reman alternator from auto zone. First one took a shit on me and this one is completely fine except for the charging system light under the conditions I described. I took it out and brought it in to be tested and it tests fine on all fronts. Any thoughts as to why I'm getting this light under load?

·
Registered
95 EJ1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my only solution as of right now is to crack it open and snip a wire so it will test bad so I can get a replacement...

·
Registered
650 Posts
What bone said, unless your belt is slipping. If you do get a new one, get a new Gates belt for it, too.

EDIT: and make sure it's properly tensioned.

·
Registered
95 EJ1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a month old belt and tension is fine. guess I'm going to be cracking open the alternator today to do some "modification." so the general consensus that autozone alternators are crap, where might I find the better one that isn't the arm-and-a-leg oem Honda alt?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I would go to the junk yard and find something that looks clean. Or if you dont want to F around, I have installed hundreds of Bosch remans and they are generally good. Maybe had one that was bad.

Also, its quite common when installing a new belt, that is stretches and wears in, requiring re-tensioning. Something to consider.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
I got an alternator from the pick-n-pull off another z6, followed the factory service manual inspection with a DMM. Everything seemed to check out so I ordered new brushes from Honda because mine were almost below the service limit. $25 total cost...

I'm not as experienced as a lot of people on here... but thats what I did

part# 31105-P01-003 HOLDER ASSY., BRUSH $22.85

Total time... ~1 hour

Maybe that helps....

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
I had the same thing occurring after 6k RPM's.

Ended up being a loose belt.

Got a new belt and tensioned it and it hasn't occurred since.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had the same problem with the y7 in my hatch. When I first got it the OEM alternator locked up and I replaced it with a autozone piece. I noticed a flickering alternator light, but only at night time with the head lights and blower motor on around 3000rpm. I took it back to autozone and it tested good but they replaced it anyway only to have the replacement do the same thing. I did a bunch of tests and everything tested ok and point to a bad alternator. I just learned to live with the light and never had a problem for the 3 years I was daily driving the car.

·
Registered
95 EJ1
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay so I cracked open the alternator and obliterated the brushes and the voltage regulator. Then I brought it in to be tested and to my surprise it passed o_O so I brought it to another auto zone where it also passed...i don't know what that says about autozone but in the end, now that I had a shit alternator, i bit the bullet and bought reman from napa. Installed it and the light is gone. I'm confused and out $140 but my problem is solved

1 - 20 of 21 Posts