Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you run 2.5 inch charge pipe on your turbo setup.......Is 2.5 good up to, let say 400 hp?? Or sometime you need to upgrade to 3 inch?

Thanks

·
Registered
A honda!
352 Posts
B20BbenN said:
I know most of you run 2.5 inch charge pipe on your turbo setup.......Is 2.5 good up to, let say 400 hp?? Or sometime you need to upgrade to 3 inch?

Thanks
eek

If you are really looking to do ~400 wheel I think you might need that extra .5 inchs of flow

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it will be easier that way: What is the limit(hp or flow''cfm'') of a 2.5 inch charge pipe?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh the good old MAXIMUM BOOST book!!!!
Page 62
''Let power=400bhp, for which maximum airflow is approximately 600 cfm, and air tube diameter=2.5 inch.''
''Thus, the 2.5 inch tube will be adequate to flow 600 cfm without unreasonable drag''

So a 2.5 inch piping is more than enough for my need!(nearly everyone need!!!)

I wonder if a 3 inch piping will have better throttle response before the turbo give boost? Anyway, 3 inch in/out intercooler are hard to find and cost A LOT MORE than a regular 2.5 in/out intercooler!!
2.5 FTW :TU:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
if anything 3" will give SLOWER responce since its same amout of air in a larger volume(will take longer to fill 3" wide then 2.5" wide)

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Speedjunky01 said:
if anything 3" will give SLOWER responce since its same amout of air in a larger volume(will take longer to fill 3" wide then 2.5" wide)
i dont know, 400hp is a lot of power. and will require a lot of air from a BIG turbo. at the flow rate that you would need, i dont think that the extra .5" is really going to cause a whole lot of lag.

i guess the way id look at it, is dont run your piping much larger than the opening of your TB. too much bigger is just going to have to cram down to a smaller diameter to get into the IM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts