Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my charcoal canister a long time ago but when the vent line was capped off I could smell gas fumes leaking out the cap. So I opened it up and let it vent out, it smells like gas fumes under the hood (even though it runs down below the subframe. This is really only on hot days.

I don't have room for the charcoal canister anymore, so I thought about just using a check valve for the fumes to vent at vacuum into the intake. That way under boost the pressure won't go into the gas tank. It seems like this would work pretty much the same as stock, but without going through a filter (charcoal) first.

In my mind I see the gas fumes just venting out to the atmosphere as a waste when you could use it in the engine. Anyone try this before?

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I too run no charcoal canister. But I have never experience the smell of gas fumes in my vehicle. you sure something else is not up?

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too run no charcoal canister. But I have never experience the smell of gas fumes in my vehicle. you sure something else is not up?
I only smelled it inside the car when it was blocked off, and would leak fumes out the cap seal. I soon realized not letting the tank vent was a bad idea. I smell gas under the hood because it vents by the subframe.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
My ride is hooked up as follows. 95 civic ex (Mind you I have no canister installed)
Canister to TB port, capped at TB port.
Canister to tank, open at fire wall.
Canister to Purge valve capped at IM with purge valve removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts