Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know if any one has any usefull tips on changing valve stem seals. I dont have a compressor to put air in the cylinders, but I read online about putting rope in the spark plug hole so the valves dont fall out. Sounds like it would work. other then that just out with the old in with the new correct? Thanks..

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Honestly, when I did mine (off the block mind you) there was plenty of friction within the guide so that it just doesn't fall right in by itself...you did have to push it down. But if anything the rope trick or metal wire around the end of the valve tied to something should do it. GL!

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
Honestly, when I did mine (off the block mind you) there was plenty of friction within the guide so that it just doesn't fall right in by itself...you did have to push it down. But if anything the rope trick or metal wire around the end of the valve tied to something should do it. GL!
I agree. IIRC you couldn't even get the valves to fall down into the chamber completely with the piston at TDC.

Just out with the old, and in with the new. Get yourself a socket that's around the same size as the seal to tap them down all the way onto the head.

-Des!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I used with alot if success a "pry" driver...basically it's a small claw end of a hammer in a screwdriver form. Worked great with minimal scoring along the guide end. Of course a pair of pliers comes in handy too!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm also in the process of doing this. I have a spare head off the car that i am practicing on. I would just add that getting the seal on is the easiest part. Getting the old one off and then putting the keepers back on is the hard part. So can anyone recommend a good tool to do this with? Im sure he would appreciate it. (and so would I).

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
An overhead valve spring compressor is what I've used for everything...I've got it down pat. I use a flat head screwdriver that is magnetic, then another non-magnetic tool with a small tip. The keepers do take some getting use to, so practice! And yes, a telescoping magnetic pick up tool is good to have handy.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
definitely an over head valve spring compressor. I have a POS regular spring compressor and it takes forever and a day to go through all of them. but the other type can be hard to find and more expensive, but well worth it in the end. I say go with the rope trick especially if you have the POS spring compressor it will be tricky getting those keepers back on with such a tool.

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated, ill give it a shot this weekend. I also have another head that needs torn apart, I guess i should practice on that first..duh.. but thanks again

·
Registered
547 Posts
i always put the piston at tdc, the valve should not fall into the block. four hand are always better then two. i also put some lube on the keeper to help them stick to the valve strem. have fun and good luck :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts