Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm changing out the valve stem seal, should I lap the valves? The motor is a fresh rebuild but I had to change a few valve seals due to my faulty install. Should I just install the valves according to port or should I lap them again to make everything good?

·
Registered
407 Posts

did u have a valve job done when you rebuilt?
if yes, dont lap the valves.

id only lap if your valves are not sealing. otherwise put them back in their right holes.

when you lap your messing with the vj. some may even say that the lapping compound stays in the seats/valves and keeps eating at your vj.

m.

·
Registered
882 Posts
did u have a valve job done when you rebuilt?
if yes, dont lap the valves.

id only lap if your valves are not sealing. otherwise put them back in their right holes.

when you lap your messing with the vj. some may even say that the lapping compound stays in the seats/valves and keeps eating at your vj.

m.
+1 on what marcin said.

You can also test the valve job sealing by pulling vacuum in the chamber or port with a hand pump.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when I built the motor up agen, I lapped all the valves since I replaced them with new ones. I didn't get a valve job done cuz I felt a lot of the machine shops out here are not competent enough to do it properly and they lack the tools anyway. I could've shipped the head to another part of the country for better work but, cost, time and cost are an issue. SO I just lapped all of them. I pretty sure they seal properly because when I put fuel in the ports, none of it leaked out overnite. I know it's a pretty ghetto way to test it but it did seal. So back to the original question. I guess I should ay? Since the heads apart anyways.

·
Registered
407 Posts

if it seals properly, don't lap the valves again. install them according to where you lapped them.

i know what you mean about machine shop confidence. I have built a head twice because of that problem.
Drove 5 hours each way for competent work the second time.

m.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
when I built the motor up agen, I lapped all the valves since I replaced them with new ones. I didn't get a valve job done cuz I felt a lot of the machine shops out here are not competent enough to do it properly and they lack the tools anyway. I could've shipped the head to another part of the country for better work but, cost, time and cost are an issue. SO I just lapped all of them. I pretty sure they seal properly because when I put fuel in the ports, none of it leaked out overnite. I know it's a pretty ghetto way to test it but it did seal. So back to the original question. I guess I should ay? Since the heads apart anyways.
ur next build should run a [email protected] special head LOL LBC is cheap for shipping..

+1 on marcin.. just remove the valves.. get a big ass cardboard punch holes with a pen.. label them in numbers.. 1-8 for intake and 1-8 for exhaust with both 1s starting from the camgear..

replace valve seals and reinstall.. this way thers less confusion or chances of mixing up the valves.. if u lapped them bfor? id suggest lapping it again with a fine coarse compound.. why? cuz unlike a decent valvejob..we're unsure if it held its integrity even in the low miles of use..

tip- use a socket from ur ratchet set , pick a size where the valve seals fit well without any edges twisiting on the seal or hitting the spring.. use it to drive it in.. there is a faint click when u get it seated all the way..

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
I man-handle my stem seals...pressed on via my thumb! LOL Nothing like feeling them "click" onto the VG and knowing you're good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts