Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 94 Civic EX (1.6L) D16Z6

Issue: Car overheating because of headgasket blown!

Question: One of my friends is going to replace headgasket for me since he has done it before. I trust him but I still wanted to ask you guys or girls would I need anything else when replacing the headgasket?

Parts I have : Headgasket, valve gasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gasket.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
well make sure he has a common knowledge on how too time them, besides that i say head bolts, arp would be good since they are reusable and about as much as new ones from honda, do not re use ur stock bolts u have now they have stretched and will not work. besides oil and other crap, i'd say u have all u need.

·
Registered
910 Posts
civic4ges said:
Does he/you know how to check for warped block and or warped head?
If the headgasket was damaged then he definetely needs to check the head and block surfaces for warpage with a straight edge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys and girls.

So I'll ARP bolts since I can re-use those and I go check the warpage on the head. And if theres wrap go to a machine shop so then fix.

Question: Do you think the head is wrapped since my gasket just blow about 3 weeks ago?

·
Registered
466 Posts
aint no telling my head is cracked or wharped.........im not even going to waste the money to get it shaved or fixed cause for as much as it costs arou d here if u dont know anyone, you can be buying a used one from somebody....im looking for a Y8 head to go on my Z6, untill then i will just keep putting a little fluid in it every now and then

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
LunyTunez said:
Car: 94 Civic EX (1.6L) D16Z6

Issue: Car overheating because of headgasket blown!

Question: One of my friends is going to replace headgasket for me since he has done it before. I trust him but I still wanted to ask you guys or girls would I need anything else when replacing the headgasket?

Parts I have : Headgasket, valve gasket, intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gasket.
94 EX... So a 12yr old car... It is very easy to change the rear motor mount with the head and intake manifold out of the way!!!

Also, get a black magic marker. Mark a line on the dizzy/head to make it easier to set the timing back correctly when the head goes back on.

This is also the perfect time to flush your coolant and change your oil. Also, be aware that it may be difficult to get some of the coolant lines off if they have never come off before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts