Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am changing my headgasket and installing ARP head studs to get ready for boost. Is there any way around removing the crank pulley to get the timing belt off? Can i just loosen the tensioner through the hole in the cover? My timing belt was changed 10,000 miles ago so I am not going to change it.

·
Registered
92 cx
932 Posts
You can loosen the tensioner through your timing belt cover, there's a round black plug, pull that out and use a 14mm to loosen the tensioner bolt a quarter turn or so, then you could turn the motor barely clockwise (not recommended) to loosen the timing belt. Then retighten the bolt.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
The cam and cam gear don't need to come off to replace the head gasket and studs. It is so much easier to just loosen the tensioner. That's what it's purpose is and you'll need to tension the timing belt properly afterr installation anyway.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
no need to touch the tensioner.

Unbolt cam gear and slide it and the belt off.
Dont forget to zip tie the belt to the cam gear before you slide it off so it doesnt move around on you.

Otherwise you could bend some valves when you go to start it back up!!

·
Registered
1993 Honda Civic EX
93 Posts
Hey bud, I just changed my d15b7's headgasket a few months ago. I just took the top timing belt cover off, loosened the tensioner as pictured and then slid the belt off the cam gear. Use a screw driver or something to keep the belt upright as you slide the cam gear around.

forgot to mention, the tensioner is a 14 or 15 socket and located between the two guides popping out of the lower cover.

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
Way i always do hondas its mark the belt and gear on the timing marks at tdc, slip the belt of and pull the head. Dont even have to remove the intake manifold(itll save you an hour or 2 remove it after removing the head).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
no need to touch the tensioner.

Unbolt cam gear and slide it and the belt off.
Dont forget to zip tie the belt to the cam gear before you slide it off so it doesnt move around on you.

Otherwise you could bend some valves when you go to start it back up!!

Exactly what I was going to say!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts