Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you change the disks on 91 crx there are two #3 phillips screws screwed into disk , the previous owner or some one stripped the heads ..how can i get them off..any help is appriciated

·
Registered
HONDA
368 Posts
if they are stripped out , maybe try cutting a notch in them and removing them with a flat head screwdriver !! or just drill them out and retap the holes.

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
drill the tops of the screws off.... remove rotor.....vice grip the screws out and buy more..... dont even need to retap the hole.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill do that low eg-t ..bby the way do you know what thread they are

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
no, it has been so long since i had to replace any......take the old one with you to the hardware store and spin a nut on there, when you have one that goes all the way you'll know your thread size/pitch

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
my sedan doesnt have them in the front, the teg i used to have is the one i bought new ones for

·
Registered
560 Posts
no, it has been so long since i had to replace any......take the old one with you to the hardware store and spin a nut on there, when you have one that goes all the way you'll know your thread size/pitch
Don't get the screw from a hardware store. Most of the stuff at hardware stores are grade 2 screws which will strip when you try to take them out again. Get them from a junkyard or honda dealer.

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
Don't get the screw from a hardware store. Most of the stuff at hardware stores are grade 2 screws which will strip when you try to take them out again. Get them from a junkyard or honda dealer.
well my local store has grade 8's so i think it is safe to say the hardware store is capable of having the right screws....
all they do is keep the rotor onto the hub while the wheel is off,

the lug nuts keep everything together, so even grade 0 screws will be fine.....

and screws dont strip unless they are the wrong size, the wrong pitch, or cross threaded....

i dont know who told you that about the screws stripping, but they were Ms. taken.......

·
Registered
560 Posts
well my local store has grade 8's so i think it is safe to say the hardware store is capable of having the right screws....
all they do is keep the rotor onto the hub while the wheel is off,

the lug nuts keep everything together, so even grade 0 screws will be fine.....

and screws dont strip unless they are the wrong size, the wrong pitch, or cross threaded....

i dont know who told you that about the screws stripping, but they were Ms. taken.......
Ok then my local hardware store just sucks. Not talking about the thread stripping I mean the phillips socket.

·
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
oh, that just sums up the bit you are using...

use a lil anti seize on them and you'll never have the problem

i get my phillips shanks of the matco/snapon trucks they have groves on the end, and ''grip'' the screw never had a problem otherwise....

no put downs intended, its all in the sake of knowledge.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts