Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Until recently, I was committed to building and tracking my '00 civic dx. I never considered making a build thread for that car because technically it has never been built.

It started back in '10 after I graduated college in the Philippines and moved back to the States. I had built another car when I was living in the Philippines, you can see it in this thread. http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/104995-sohcittoems-ride.html.

I sold that car before leaving and ended up getting a 2000 civic dx for $3200. It was a single owner, clean title, non-modified car. Pricey for sure but exactly something I was looking for. I spent a good 4 months looking on craigslist for this car and fell in love the moment I saw it parked outside the owner's home.
Here are some pictures from the craigslist ad.

During the time the car has been in my possession, the only modifications had been a custom stainless steel shift knob, an autometer oil pressure gauge, (some of these parts were from my old car) and it was briefly lowered on H&R race springs and tokico blues which I bought for about $100 for the set.

Here's a pic of it during the time it was lowered. Can't remember exactly when this was but I was still a tech at a Honda dealership during that time.

The shocks were on their way out when I bought the set but I took a gamble and like the way it sat. Eventually I removed it because my was getting nauseous from the constant bouncing in the back seat. The rear shocks were blown for quite a while and I just tolerated it as is.

I won my first trophy ever with this car as well. It was Wednesday Night Drags at Sonoma. I won 2nd place for the gear jammer class, running the best time of a 17.1 with a 2.4something 60' lol. This was my first time ever at a "legal" dragstrip. Most of my drag racing experience had been done in a more "illegal" setting lol. I took my wife and daughter to eat the next morning to celebrate.

Here's a vid of that said run. If you look closely, you can see my carotid pulsating. Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy....

I had done an extensive detail on the car at one point clay, polish, sealant, wax and it turned out great! I had done this before on my old Civic in the Philippines and used the supplies from that car to this car.

Over the years I had amassed quite a sum of parts with intention of building it, turboing it and drag racing it. It was going as planned until I left my job as a tech and became a stay at home father for a while. My wife was making wayy more than I did and she was also required to work more hours. It didn't seem viable at the time to afford day care so we made the decision together. In the mean time I tried to pursue my career in nursing but that fell to the side when I failed my licensing test the first time in 2012 and during my re-application for examination, was denied by the state of CA to take it again. The state had become stricter to foreign graduates and I was required to re-take classes before being able to re-test for my license (which I think is a joke, how can I qualify at first then no longer qualify??). Long story short, it took me 2 years to get into these extra classes as I had been on the waiting list to over 10 different colleges. I finished all those classes in 2014 and successfully passed my licensing exam and now am a RN. Do whatever it takes to reach your goals!!!

Well during my time of zero income, I had to find other ways of making money. I did side jobs, simple stuff like brake jobs, starters, alternators, whatever I could do to make some cash. Unfortunately this time of no income also postponed all my plans of turboing the car and making it real real fast. Drag racing wasn't doing it for me in my slow car, I never really fancied autocross but after watching a few track day vids, I had to try it out.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My wife bought me a helmet as gift and in support of trying out the trackday stuff. She had also paid for my registration and track fees. (Best wife ever!)

I had some money left over from the said side jobs and went ahead and purchased some brake pads, rotors and fluid for the track. Bled all 4 corners and went ahead and slapped them on.

I borrowed a buddies go-pro and made a pretty sweet DIY mount for it.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is a vid of that first event. I'm running with NASA the track is Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, CA.

The first event was a success had tons of fun! I'm not sure if I overcooked the brakes but they turned a purplish hue upon inspection.

After that first time on the track, I fell in love. There was no turning back. This was it, this was the end goal. The goal was to spend more time on the track!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is of my second event.

The event fell on a raceday for NASA so some pretty sick cars out there.

Ended up getting bumped from HPDE 1 to HPDE 2 so I was greenlit for solo runs.

In between events I'd swap from the Hawk HP+ to my old oem pads to save the Hawk's from excess wear and tear. Plus they were pretty noisy when cold and produced a lot of dust.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This was my 3rd event. Felt a little more confident in my skills and familiarizing myself to Sonoma Raceway. Definitely faster going around the track this time around.

Same setup. Bone stock car with Hawk HP+, centric blanks and DOT 4 brake fluid. I brought my buddy with a RSX type-s and he had a blast too! That car is definitely quick with the k20!

^Talk about body roll!!

^this last pic is probably my favorite one!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Then the unforseeable happens. My car gets stolen. I explain here in this thread. http://www.d-series.org/forums/serious-discussion-debate/258162-stolen-vehicle.html. Luckily my car gets recovered with minimal loss.

I'm very sentimental about my cars. I drive them hard but I treat them well and never neglect them. This civic in particular has brought trouble-free ownership the past 5 years. When I found out it got stolen, I almost cried that day. This car was the primary family vehicle for a few years and took my family and I safely to many many destinations then back home with never an issue. This car has kept truckin' along doing it's job.

In the 5 years of ownership, the only money spent on repairs has been $150. This doesn't include tires, brakes, gas and oil. Those repairs consist of replacing the passenger side brake caliper and just recently a starter. A testament to the build quality and the durability of our little cars. Just recently the car broke 170,000. I don't doubt with proper upkeep, I can get another 100,000 out of it.

In between the time my car got stolen and recovery, I picked up another car. This time a 2000 Integra GS-R. The reason I chose a GS-R was because of my plans for the Civic. As my priorities changed from drag racing to road course, I planned to swap to a bar'd b18c1 for smog legal, dc2 rear trailing arms and the steering pinion into the Civic. Then it occurred to me, if I'm gonna swap all these parts from a Integra to my Civic, I might as well get an Integra.

Finally got a chance to wash the car today as when I bought it, it was dirty as hell!

Got a little clay bar action in today too. Could only do the fender but will continue to clay it when I get off work. HUGE difference from the dirty dirty condition I bought it in.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The Integra currently has Koni yellows all around, sitting on Eibach sportline springs, 32mm ASR rear sway and ASR subframe reinforcement, ITR exhaust. The car does have high mileage at 180,000. The car does need some work before getting it on the track. So on order for next week is timing belt, water pump, tensioner, front main seal, rear main seal. Then in the preceding weeks, I'll get a new clutch and flywheel, radiator, tires and brakes. I'm in no rush but would like to at least get the car ready by March. I plan to go to an event every month in 2015 so I will lean towards reliability mods and keep the motor stock.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,814 Posts
A man evolves into a racer in front of our eyes, how touching. This is a good post to start this off. Nice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah! GSR looks great. The stance is nice. Love the way it sits!
I imagine the interior is just as clean as the exterior.
That thing would go around a track nicely as well. :D

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Chris my plan is to post up whatever events I hit up. I'm down to roll with anyone really. The more the merrier man. Definitely something to try at least once. If I can do it in a stock dx, anyone can lol.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me know what's up guys! Next planned date is March 14 and 15 at Sonoma. I plan on running both days that day. I have another body with a RSX gonna roll too.

Post up on this link http://www.d-series.org/forums/races-shows-events/259241-norcal-track-day.html or pm me to let me know wassup! I can answer any questions too. You do need to have the car teched at one of the sanctioned shops but that is free to do. Just gotta schedule it, which can be a pain.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.