Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've mentioned before before about how my turbo is all peaky at only upper rpm boosting. Well, I've ordered a NEW SC-50 with the BB center housing. It should getting going about 3500-4000 instead of 5500 rpm and it should work better witha much smoother more usable power curve VS the On/OFF boosting I get now. Yea' it's cool for a full drag car, but My car is a Street car. I also think that the lack of lower end power is hurting me as i'm doing nothing but spinning tires through 2nd gear. it's not till 3rd do I get traction and with being forced to full throttle shift, that's not helping either. With the smaller turob it will give me good power gains in a much brouder power range. I think adding some more low end grunt will only help my overall performance as my car was really designed for a better power curve not this slam 20psi at 5500rpm and hold on for all it's worth. (although it's full as hell ;) )

I've realized that there is such thing as too big a turbo for the streets. I've spent a lot of time caculating and working and crunching numbers. I've just deiced that I want all around performance rather than just a "dyno queen" I'll still be able to make 450+ hp, but it will just start eariler and not rev as high.

I should have the new turbo in about 2 weeks, and I've sold my old one so I have to take it off the car tonight. (fun 3 hrs of work weee!!!! NOT!)
I'll keep you guys posted.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Well, I've said it many times before, choose a turbo thats in its peak at the Realistic power goals that you have. Lots of people here are saying to go with midsized T3/T4's, GT30s, and boosting them at 8-10 psi... I think it's much better to run a smaller turbo at higher boost so that you can keep it in its peak efficiency range for longer...

A big turbo is fun if it's a race car, but it's not at all fun if its always lagging on the street...
I chose a Super 16G turbo for my car it's good to about 380hp but it spools nice and fast... you press the throttle and a 1/2 second later, you're making some boost...

Enjoy the New turbo Oscar!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!, I'm lookingforward to it. I will say it was fun seeing the jaws drop on a couple of ferreri guys racing on the freeway when I pull up next to them and left them sitting still form a 80 punch. ;)

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Man, I know the feeling about the Ferrari guys, but I love the ricers even more. I got rev'd on once and I just rev'd back at him making sure the BOV went off just a little - my car looks stock other than the Corbeau seats and Itr suspension, but all I need to do is rev a bit and it doesn't sound 'stock'. Just a little reving discourages almosts everyone and those that peel out anyway... well I let them go, because I built the car for myself, and not to impress some ricers street racing...

I had a ride in a 550 about a month ago, and at 18psi my car felt about as fast as the 550... maybe I'm dreaming but a 250-300whp civic weighing 2800lbs actually isn't that far off of a 3800-4000lb ferrari making 500 Crank hp... Oh and the gated ferrari shifter doesn't look nearly as fast as my short shifter...
Nevertheless, a ferrari is a ferrari, and if I didn't already have a very steady GF, I would definitely prefer the Ferrari... ;-) That car is beautiful and is a chick magnet (incidentally, the guy who own's the ferrari's wife HATES his cars. She calls them a disease... He has 4 ferraris right now and several other exotics...drool)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahaha

You sound like me, I built mine myself witht he exception of the engine. Everyone who sees it thinks I'm joking till they ride in it ro see it in action. My car looks like a normal 96 with einki wheels and 3" exhaust and tinted windows. It's a very good sleeper. I even painted my fmic flat black. :Twisted: That helps make it even less noticeable.

that's cool man What part of texas are you in?

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I'm in NY. I actually assembled the motor, welded the DP/Exhaust/ built everything! Only thing I didn't do was the tuning. My engine bay is pretty gross because of an anti rust treatment I had done a couple of years ago... disgusting sticky oily shit that wont come off!

I still need to go to the dyno...
My car looks like a stock 94coupe apart from huge brakes and 16" wheels...
It also sounds rough and 'mean' it's too loud for my taste but then again I'm into stealth...
My Spearco intercooler is pretty obvious, but I don't really care...

I'm actually looking into modifying my exhaust again to make in quiter by using a 911 turbo muffler... I hope it'll work, the porshe part is designed to be clean and allow a lot of power... I'm not too sure about cat lightoff that far away from the motor though...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a $69 3" SS turbo muffler from pepboys. it's a straight bass through but it's fairly quiet compaired to a lot of others. Once you get past the 2.5" mark, your pretty much stuck as most things will not help quiet it down much.

Thought you were in texas for some reason. Doh!

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I used the 3" magnaflow SS. and 3" SS tubing all the way back and a 3" cat...

was thinking of putting an extra resonator, but I'm instead gonna try the 911 turbo...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
magnaflow is loud man, that's most likley your issue. change the muff (car parts guys :p ) out for something more quietier and you should be happier.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
i will admit it for him its fun riding along in mikes car!
but did you already sell your turbo? and the radiator?
anyways gimme a call later on say whats up.
ive been busy and started my new job this weeks so never had time for Dseries.
or anything for that matter

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehe I know the feeling man!
Local shop jsut picked up my turbo from me. (they ordered a new S300 to trade me for) I still have the radiator, except now it's NEW I called koyo and they warrantied it out. So it's suppsoed to be delivered Monday new in the box.

WEEEEEEE

$with the exception of Rototy20
I'm asking $265shipped for this NEW radiator. 92-2k civic

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running netopune for now, I'm goign fresh for a S300 as it will be easier to tune considering I know 3 people localls who woudl tune it for really cheap as compaired to netpune that only 2 in texas can tune it

·
I
3,984 Posts
i might need to get a new turbo too... i am blowin oil out the downpipe.. and it is seeping through the flange connecting the dp to the turbine.. also, i noticed some oil in the hot charge pipe..

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup new turbo time.
Contact Arturbo from Honda-tech. He is an awesome guy and can get you a great deal on a Precision turbo. If you would rather, you can pm me and i'll get you his # directly.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's an SC-61 turbo. 61mm compressor and T3 .63 stage5 exhaust. turbo sold. sorry guys, but I still have the NEW radiator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts